40

The days following Jordan and Spencer's talk, Jordan's attitude did a complete 180°. Instead of slacking off in school and at practice, he was putting in the extra work. Instead of partying and drinking, he was spending time at home looking over plays getting homework done. He no longer wanted to be the guy who dragged down the team. He wanted to be the guy who carried them to another state championship. He wanted, more than anything as he slowly realized it, Juliet back.

It was 8:30 on Friday night. He was putting in extra work for conditioning in the schools weight room. Just as he was finishing up his last mile, Billy and Ezra made their way through the door. "Hey." Billy said as they walked up to him. "Hey." Jordan coldly replied. "Mr. Banks." "Good evening, Jordan." Ezra smiled. "Putting in some extra time I see?"

"Yes sir, can't be too prepared for spring season."

"No you can't."

"Ezra and I just stopped by to check out the field. They put up the state championship banner." Billy told his son.

"Yeah, I saw it earlier today after school."

"Ah." No matter how hard Billy tried, Jordan just didn't seem to let him in. He refused to give his dad the opportunity to explain. Ezra felt the tension and hated it for the father and son.

"Well, we should get going. Leave Jordan to his workout." Ezra smiled and followed Billy for the field.

Jordan picked up a jump rope to complete his last bit of cardio before he moved on to the bench press. As he took a seat, once more the door to the weight room opened.

He expected it to be another booster there to check out the banner

He expected it to be another booster there to check out the banner. Only this time when he looked up he saw Juliet closing the door behind her.

His heart suddenly stopped as he watched her turn to face him. A look of pure shock came over her face. "Oh, sorry." She quickly said with large eyes. "No, you're good" he assured her.

"I was just looking for my dad. He said he would be here."

"Yeah, he and my dad are out on the field looking the state championship banner."

"Of course they are." She chuckled and started to head for the door.

"So how are you?"

"Oh, I'm good, you?"

"Yeah, I'm good too."

"I see you're finally back at it."

Juliet looked Jordan up and down from the bench. The body that she craved all summer was sitting in front of her shirtless covered in sweat. It was hard for her to take her eyes off of him.

"Yeah, figured it was time to get my shit together."

"I'd say that sounds like a good idea." She pressed her lips together and she once again started to head for the door.