19

In the world of high school football, combines are a huge deal. If you're selected to attend, you should count yourself as lucky. A combine gives players the opportunity to showcase what they've got in front of college recruiters and coaches in hopes to be invited back for the 7-on-7 showcase. If they like what they see, it gives the players an opportunity to play ball in the future.

Beverly was hosting their annual combine which meant students were let out of school early on Friday so they could setup the facilities. Juliet made her way over to the Bakers to see if Jordan wanted to grab something to eat at the Cafe. Just as she was walking up to the Baker's front door, he was walking out of the front door. "Hey!" He said what he saw her. "Hey." She smiled back. "Going somewhere?"

"Oh, uh- yeah. I was actually heading to the rec to practice and condition a bit to prepare for tomorrow."

"Oh, well never mind then."

"Why, what's up?"

"I was going to see if you wanted to go grab a bite to eat." She laughed.

"Yeah, babe sorry but I'm going to have to pass on that."

"Pass on what?" A Olivia asked as she joined them in the driveway.

"Food." Juliet said.

"Oh damn, take me. I'll gladly be your second option."

Jordan rolled his eyes as he let out a laugh. He stepped towards Juliet, wrapped his arm around her and kissed her on the head. "I'll see you tonight though?" He asked as he started to walk towards his car.

"Sure thing." she replied.

They watched as Jordan climbed into the drivers seat and disappear down the road. Olivia turned to her and said, "You do realize these next few weeks are going to be all about football, right?" Juliet smile and said,
"Hell yeah they will be." She didn't mind one bit.

When they walked into the Cafe the place was pretty busy. It was full of Beverly High students just getting out from school on their early release, or people from out town there for the Combine looking for something close by to eat.

As Juliet navigated the crowd following behind Olivia, she heard someone call her name. "Juliet?" They said. And when she turned to see who it was she saw Kyle Underwood, her summer mistake, looking right at her. *Character page updated with picture.*

Her stomach instantly turned into knots. "What are- what are you doing here?" She asked him as she stumbled over her words. "I'm here for the combine." He told her with a laugh.

"Oh, you got invited? That's great. I didn't know you played football."

"Yeah, starting QB for my team. Those of us invited got here early to check out the facilities. Maybe after you can show me around Beverly a bit? I've never gotten the residences tour before."

"Oh, I'd love to but I can't."

"What? Too busy for an old friend?"

'Friend?' Juliet thought to herself. 'You're no friend.'

"Hey, I found and empty table. JJ is here so I had him hold it down it for us." Olivia told Juliet as she walked up to her. She noticed the mortified look on her face and the tall boy that she was talking to. "Everything okay?"