37

The Beverly Eagles winning the state championship was something that never seemed to be let down. Months after bringing home the title, it was still all that anyone could talk about. The boy from the team were like the Kardashians of Beverly High.

Juliet was at her looker before 6th period so she could grab her English book. Not far down from her Jordan stood with JJ, Asher, and Nick as they watched the championship game back. She looked their way as little as possible just so if Jordan was looking her way at all, she could avoid any eye contact, that and she didn't want him to know that she still missed him.

"Why don't you just talk to him?" Juliet heard someone say from her left as she glanced quickly to her right at Jordan. When she turned towards the voice she saw Spencer pressed up against the lockers. "Why would I do that?" She asked him.

"Look, you can lie and pretend all you want, but I know you better than that, Jules. I know you're not over Jordan."

She took in a deep breath and let it out. She pressed her lips together and said, "I'm fine." Spencer looked at her with concerned eyes, it was clear she wasn't.

"Hey yo Spence, you need to see this, man." Asher called down to Spencer. They both looked their way and Juliet caught Jordan's eyes. He didn't let them go, her heart was beating hard and fast in her chest. She wanted to look away but she knew she couldn't, not with the way Jordan was looking at her.

"Think about it." Spencer told her then reached down and squeezed her arm before he headed over to his teammates. She turned back towards her locker, and just as she did, Principal Landon passed by her with a wide smile on his face, "There they are!" He said to the group of congregated boys. "How's it feel? State champs! Proud of you boys."

Juliet rolled her eyes. It was like that man ran the Beverly Eagles football fan club. "Thanks, Principal Landon." Jordan smiled. "I hope your dad is enjoying his well-earned vacation. I gave him that extra week, but tell him he needs to hustle back. We need you boys in fighting shape for the 7-on-7 Scrimmage League coming up."

Juliet became concerned, it was clear Jordan was still using vacation as the excuse as for why Billy was MIA. 

"Yes, sir."

"Alright, you go guys ahead and get to class. I'll catch you later." Principal Landon patted Jordan on the back then continued down the hall. Asher and JJ along with Nick followed suit so they weren't late, and Spencer even parted his way.

Jordan looked back towards Juliet and saw that she was heading his way. He thought maybe she was finally going to beg for him to take her back. "What's up?" He asked. "Vacation? Jordan your dad's hiding out at Willie's in Crenshaw. Why does Landon think he's on vacation?"

"Who knows?" He chuckled.

"You just went along with it?"

"Maybe because it's none of his damn business, just like it isn't yours."

"Jordan, I-"

"No, Juliet." He said cutting her off, "I don't really care what you have to say. Just stop worrying about of my life, alright?"

She looked up at Jordan as the venom spewed from his tongue. How did she become his punching bag after Billy moved out? She didn't respond, her jaw clenched shut and she walked around him for next period. He was slowly starting to make it easier for her to let him go. Before she knows it, she won't have to pretend.

Juliet didn't like to go home right after school. She usually didn't like to be all alone and the times when her parents were home they would often ask her where her friends were. She found it was just easiest to head to the Cafe with her laptop to work on school assignments or get lost in a good book with an iced coffee.