76

So I realized that I didn't tell Asher's story about his heart. That's my bad. I'll be filling that in here.

The Monday morning following the championship game, Juliet walked into the school and saw banners hung all around congratulating the team on another well done victory. As she admired one of the team and cheerleaders with the trophy Jordan walked up next to her and said, "It's nice, right?" "It is. A great way to end senior years season." She replied.

"You've got that right."

As she looked at the picture she realized that Asher wasn't pictured. "Hey, what happened to Ash?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why didn't he play Saturday? Was he sick or something? Did he get hurt in the fight?"

"Uhm, no. He uh- he found out he has cardiomyopathy right before the game started."

Juliet looked at him with wide eyes, "No shit.. Is he okay?"

"He has a lot of anger. But he's also hopeful that a second opinion will deliver different results."

"One could hope.."  Juliet replied and started walking down the hallway for her locker.

"How are things with Kyle? Has he replied yet?"

"He has not. How much space are you suppose to give someone who just lost a state championship?"

"I wouldn't know." Jordan winked.

"And how are things with Simone?" Juliet asked seeing her as she watched them.

"I haven't spoke to her either. She's still pretty pissed over the whole situation that went down at JJ's."

"Does this mean you are separated?"

"I guess? I should talk to her, shouldn't I?"

"You should."

"I should also talk to my dad too."

"Talk to your dad? Is he still pissed over Spencer training you?"

"He sure is." Olivia said as she walked up to them. "Our dad is being a complete ass to Spencer."

"Dad is being a complete ass to me, too, Olivia."
Jordan rolled his eyes.

"Well, at least he hasn't stopped talking to you. It's like he expects Spencer to be perfect or something." She sighed and then walked away from them.

Jordan looked at Juliet and said, "Has Spencer said anything to you about this?"

"He told me Billy found out the other week and wasn't happy about it. He never said he stopped talking to him though." She replied.

It bothered Jordan that his dad was being so hard on Spencer while all he got was a slap on the wrist. "What if Liv is right? What if my dad expects more out of Spencer than he does me?"

"I wouldn't say that, Jordan. I'm sure it's just easier to forgive your child."

"Yeah, we'll see about that.."

All day long the words that Olivia said echoed through Jordan's head. He could understand why his dad had already forgave him, but remained angry with Spencer.   All he could think was that he held Spencer to a higher standard.

When he walked into the house after school, he saw his dad on that back patio baby sitting the smoker. He walked up to him and and said, "Why aren't you mad at me for training with Spencer behind your back?"
"I'm plenty mad at you." Billy replied walking by his son back into the house.

"So then why are you still talking to me? The whole thing was my idea, Dad, and yet Spencer's the one you won't let off the mat?"

"Spencer's not my son."

"Since when, hmm? You've been all in on him since day one, you moved him into our house, you quit your job to coach him at Crenshaw, the way I see it, not only is Spencer your son, but he's your favorite son."

"Do you really think I love Spencer more than I love you?"

"I think you respect him more." Jordan snapped and Billy didn't say a word. "That's the real reason you're so upset. You expect more from him, so you can't stand it whenever he lets you down. And the only thing that you expect of me is to screw up. At least be honest enough to admit that." Jordan shook his head and started for the door. "Jordan." Billy called, but he didn't reply. "Jordan."

"No." He snapped once more and shut the door behind him.

He made his way down the front walk for his car. He slammed the door shut behind him and started the engine. He didn't know where he was going, he didn't expect to end up in the Banks' driveway.

He rang the doorbell but there was no answer. He was angry. He knew he couldn't go home. Simone wasn't really in his life anymore. Spencer was exactly someone he could vent to and neither was Olivia. JJ was out of town and Asher had issues of his own. Layla hadn't been heard from in weeks. Which left Juliet. He sat on the front step, hoping she would be home soon.

He sat there all but ten minutes before he saw her Mercedes pull into the driveway. "Jordan?" She asked as she closed her car door. "Why are you-"

"My dad." He said cutting her off. She held his eyes and let out a small sigh.

"Come on." She replied walking past him for the door.

He followed her to the kitchen where she set her back pack down on the island as he took a seat. She grabbed them both a water from the fridge and sat next to him. "I take it you talked to him about the Spencer situation."

"I did."

"How'd that go?"

"I called him out on it. I told him that he respects Spencer more than he does me. He didn't say anything.."

"At all?"

"No. It's like he only looks at me like a screw up. Spencer can do no wrong, and when he does he's this huge disappointment. When I do wrong, it's likes it's nothing new."

"That's not true.. sure you've made mistakes. But you're 17 years old. What 17 year old hasn't made mistakes?"

"Spencer, apparently."

"Spencer's different. His dad ran out on them when he was young. He had a little brother who needed a role model, so that's what he became. Spencer's issue is he has a hero complex."

"But he didn't make mistakes."

"Sure he does. If you ask me, always putting others before yourself can be a mistake." 

"Yeah? How's so?"

"If you're so worried about others, you lose yourself. In the times I've known Spencer, he's lost himself a handful of times."

Jordan sat for a moment and looked down at his lap. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

"Of course I am." Juliet laughed. "I always am."

"If you say so." He chuckled.

"I think you should talk to your dad."

"Jules-"

"It doesn't have to be today. Just.. when you're level headed. Alright?"

Jordan didn't want to. He had been through so much with his dad in the last year that he was ready to just give up a relationship with him all together. It had been a year full of disappointments and lies. He wanted away from all of that behavior. But for Juliet, he would do anything.