41

"Not Pregnant"

Was all that read on the small screen of the test. She felt her heart beat start to normalize as she let out a heavy sigh. "Oh thank goodness." She muttered under her breath and sat the test on the vanity next to her. She couldn't imagine being pregnant at 16, not with her ex boyfriend.

______

"So how's Layla?" Juliet asked looking up from her math book at Spencer as they sat at lunch. "I don't know." He quietly replied.

"You don't know?"

"Nope. She's been blowing off my texts and phone calls. Liv's too."

"Well, I texted her this morning and she replied right away?"

"What did she say?"

"'No.'"

"Okay, well what did you ask?"

"If she was going to be at school today. We had a StuCo meeting this morning I wasn't sure if she would be there. I actually found out this morning that she quit."

"She quit? Layla doesn't quit anything. Jules, I'm telling you something ain't right with her."

"Well she quit student council, and I don't disagree."

"I need to go see what's going on." Spencer said as he started to stand up from his seat. Juliet reached out grabbing his arm to stop him. "Give her her space." Juliet told him. "Maybe you're overthinking it all."

"And if I'm not?"

"If there's one thing I've learned when it comes to Layla, she can figure it out on her own."

"I'm worried about her."

"We all have been."

"What's that mean?" He questioned.

"Layla does this thing where she starts to miss her dad and she acts out. He comes home, spends some time with her, and she's fine."

"So you're saying this is all a stunt for attention?"

"Maybe?"

"I'm not willing to bank on a maybe." Spencer sighed and stood back to his feet. "I get what you're saying Jules, but I need to check on her. I'll catch you later?"

"Yeah, later." Juliet smiled and then watched Spencer as he walked away. She looked back down at her math book hoping to finish the homework assignment from that day so she didn't have to do it at home. Just as she was finishing up the last problem, Jordan sat where Spencer once had. When her eyes met his, her heart skipped a beat. "Hey." He shyly said. It had been two days since their conversation in her back yard. "Hey." She replied and looked back down at her notebook. He didn't say anything else. She felt the silent tension between them and she looked back up. He was looking down at his hands which rested on the table. "You're just going to sit there?" She asked.

"Yeah, until I can figure out what to say."

"Okay?"