73

Friday morning Juliet walked into school and saw Jordan standing at his locker with Asher and JJ. She walked up to him with a big smile on her face and said, "Congratulations on the Platinum game!"

He turned to look at her and a smile came over his face. "Hey, thanks! I'm on reserve, but I'm excited."

"You should be proud."

"Hey, man, if you hadn't taken that big hit against Westlake, you'd be playing no doubt." Asher told him. "That's the kind of season you were having."

"Thanks."

"Now, if I'd been starting all year, I'd have gotten an invite to that game." JJ bragged as he popped his collar.

"Yeah, okay." Jordan laughed

"Oh, is something funny about that? You've been sulking since yesterday, man. What happened to supporting me as QB?"

"JJ, that was when I thought I'd never play football again. Look, man, you've been a real solid backup but I'm healthy now. So I'm ready to take my starting spot back."

"Clearly not, uh, which is why Coach Montes made you my backup."

Jordan shook his head and Juliet could tell he was getting frustrated. "Right. Look, you're not even a real quarterback."

"If it wasn't for me, our season would be over, and everyone knows that."

"Well, let's see you learn to sit in the pocket-"

"Hey, hey, stop." Juliet said putting herself in front of Jordan placing her hands on JJ's waist to turn him away.

"Break it up, guys." Asher added. "JJ, go away, man. go to your locker."

"Scramble away, JJ" Jordan chuckled and Juliet turned to look at him. "Would you stop.."

"Dude?" Asher snapped at him. "Look, I get that you're upset okay. But you've got to see Montes' side. It's been a long time since you've played. You've just started throwing the football again, alright?"

"Everything is on the line." Jordan replied.

"I know this wasn't an easy decision for her."

"Look, I've been training with Spencer for weeks."

"Thought you weren't cleared for practice."

"I wasn't. I'm just telling you this because I want you to understand that I'm in the best shape of my life, man. I mean, Spence and I, we've even run through our whole offensive playbook. I'm ready to go. I should be starting in that game."

Asher turned to Juliet and said, "Did you know about this?"

"As of Thanksgiving." She replied.

"And I was cleared then, so don't be pissed at her."

The bell for first period rang which gave Jordan the perfect excuse to escape Asher's disapproving eyes.

Juliet looked at Asher and the two started down the hallway to head to class. "How are you feeling?" She asked him when she saw him wince in pain. "No cracked ribs. I'll be fine." He replied.

"You took a pretty hard hit yesterday."

"I've had worse."

"Are you going to the party Ms. Grace is having for Spencer tonight for making it to the platinum game?"

"No." Asher said eyeing Coach Montes down. "I have something to take care of." And then walked away.