5

It was weird to have someone outside of the family move into his home, especially since Jordan already felt threatened by him. But he put on a brave face and didn't say a word. As much as he didn't want to admit it, Beverly needed his help on securing a championship.

As Spencer ran long down the beach, Jordan made a pass the landed perfectly into his hands. "Nice grab." Jordan called to him as he ran back with the ball. "That was some serious spin on that throw." He replied. Spencer tossed Jordan the ball and placed his hands on his hips. "Man, we don't practice like this in Crenshaw, I'll tell you that."

"Well, we like a good re-gen day, you know, team bonding."

"You sure about that?" Spencer asked as he eyed Asher down who was playing catch with JJ. "I mean we got Hawthorne this week, and let me tell you, them dogs bite."

"Come on, trust me. Hawthorne won't know what hit them this week. Ain't that right, JJ?"

"Oh, you know that's right." JJ hollered back at him.

Spencer looked over and saw Layla and Juliet sitting on a beach towel writing stuff down as they spoke. "Hey, I'm gonna catch you later." He said to Jordan and quickly made his way over to them. "So." He said as he sat down to get their attention. "This is what rich kids do at 5pm on a Tuesday?"

"Hey, it's not all fun and games." Layla replied. "We get work done too. Look, the student council's here."

"We're prepping for the big football booster banquet on Thursday. This year, the pressure's on because everybody is coming to meet our new star player." Juliet added.

"And that's you, in case you were curious." Layla smiled.

Ashers eyes were on them the entire time. The way Layla leaned in and smiled at him as she spoke, it made him angry. He walked up to Jordan who could tell he was annoyed. "What's up, Ash?" He asked him. "You know what's up." He snapped back. "That guy's hitting on my girl left and right, knocked me out of the game last week then hung out with her after. He needs to go."

"Seriously? We gave Chatsworth the tip on his transfer permit to get him kicked out, okay? We tried."

"No, you tried."

"Exactly, and look how that turned out. Homeboy's living in my house now." Jordan sighed. "Face it, Ash. He's here to stay."

Jordan walked away from Asher. He didn't see the use in trying to destroy Spencer anymore. It seemed like anytime he tried to hurt him, he only hurt himself.

"Hey, you're not leaving, are you?" Layla asked Spencer as he stood up from the towel and slung his book bag over his shoulder.

"It's getting late." He replied.

"And it's just getting started." Juliet told him. "Beers, a bonfire, s'mores. JJ will get his guitar out here shortly."

"Sandcastles and John Mayer sing-alongs?"
Layla let out a laugh and he continued, "Okay, it sounds tempting, but uh- I got business to take care of."

"Business?" Layla questioned. "Very mysterious, Spencer James."

"That's how I like it." He smiled. "I'll see you ladies later?"

"Later." They both said at the same time. Juliet turned back to her note pad and asked "Are all of the candles delivered?" She didn't hear a response and when she looked up she saw Layla watching Spencer. "Girl." She said as she snapped her fingers. Layla slightly jumped and looked her way, "What?" She asked.

"Did you even hear me?"

"Of course I did."

"Okay, then what did I ask."