Chapter 57: Rot

And back to Daire's Pov!

-------------------------------------------------------------

For fucks sake not this again. . .

I glared straight forwards at the odd group of trees in front of me.

''Oh come on. Really? How many fucking times am I gonna be dragged back here?'' I demanded of the forest.

The only answer back was the wind rustling through the leaves above me.

''Fucker.'' I grumbled out to the woods as I slowly got back to my feet.

I was back in the sickly looking forest again, The trees around me looked even worse then before.

''So what the hell do you want to show me now you overgrown shrubs.'' I demanded of the forest, Placing my hands on my hips as I did so.

I could hear the trees rustle, As if they were displeased with my wording.

''Well I wouldn't fucking insult you guys if you didn't drag me back here. Now either answer my question or I'm gonna go full boy scout on your asses and find a way to burn this hell hole down.'' I snapped at the trees.

I'm cursing out trees. . .What the fuck has my life become. . .

At that moment, I heard a scream from deep inside the forest.

I glanced in the direction of the sound, Unease running down my spine.

''I'm not following that fucking scream.'' I stated simply, Crossing my arms slightly as I said so.

The scream sounded again, Louder this time.

I glared at the trees before turning, And walking away from the scream.

I didn't make it very far, Bushes and brambles rose up to trip me and clog my path until I was eventually bleeding and faced with a solid wall of thorns.

''Fuck it. Fine. I'll go see this screaming bitch.'' I growled out at the trees.

I turned around, And headed towards where I had thought I heard the screams come from.

I didn't hear the screams anymore, So I assumed I was doing something correctly.

''You know, You could just like write me or something next time you have something you want to show me'' I pointed out to the forest.

''Unless of course you're too scared'' I mocked, Slowly climbing down into the murky 'water' I came upon.

It wasn't water, Or well, It wasn't just water.

I could feel brittle 'sticks' crunching under my feet somewhere in that murky thick red-ish green water.

Those. . .Those aren't sticks. . .

The smell of rot seemed to fill the air, Sickly sweet and overwhelmingly warm.

I nearly gagged at the foul smell that seemed to seep into everything.

''This better be fucking worth it.'' I growled out as my foot nearly got stuck in the 'mud' at the bottom of the water.

The trees seemed to rustle slightly, As if they were laughing at me.

I flipped them off.

Grumbling, I passed a small little willow that had it's roots and the lower half of it's trunk covered with mushrooms.

''Hell, That doesn't look healthy'' I commented to myself, Noting absently how two of the other three trees seemed a little further away from the willow then most of these trees were.

Before I could look for much longer, I heard the scream again, This time louder.

''Yeah, Yeah, I know. Keep your fucking pants on.'' I grumbled to the trees before continuing to trudge through the water.

Some of the trees I passed looked like they had been burned, Their bark was charred and some boughs still smoldering.

I covered my face with the top edge of my shirt as I passed those ones.

I had no clue what was up with this forest but I for one didn't want to get sick from whatever comes from burning their wood.

Don't wanna drop dead just yet. . .

After a while of walking non stop, I didn't feel as if I had made it very far.

All the trees looked the same, Depressing.

I had passed a few more trees covered with mushrooms and fungi, Even one that looked like the parasite of a plant had almost killed it.

Eventually, I finally reached the familiar quad of trees.

''Oh boy. . .'' I muttered quietly as I pulled myself out of the muck by one of the branches on the thorny tree.

Just touching the tree made me feel. . .Wrong.

Considering how the trees looked though, That could just be because of the slime.

The 'no longer thorny, Thorny tree' had this weird slime of sorts clinging to it's bark, Making it look unclean and dirty.

The dead tree that used to be entangled with it's roots was gone, Instead it was replaced by a weird black mold of some sort.

''Welp, Looks like it's dying. . .'' I muttered before looking at the other trees with this one.

The Elm's branches were ever so slightly intertwined with the dying tree's branches.

It was looking pretty good and sturdy, Like the type of tree one would build a tree house in and still find it standing years down the road.

If I only knew how to climb trees. . .

Turning to the previously merged trees, My eyes widened slightly at the sudden amount of distance between the two.

If I hadn't seen the two merged before, I wouldn't believe they ever were.

''Huh. . .Well. . .This was a fucking waste of my time.'' I stated bluntly to the trees around me.

The trees around me rustled as if they were insulted before suddenly the ground under me fell out, Plunging me into darkness.

--- Awake ---

Opening my eyes, I sat up with a jolt, My breathing ragged.

My wide fear filled eyes looked hurriedly around the room.

My room.

No sign of the dog, Nor the two bastards.

Was that all a dream? Or some sort of hallucination?

Getting up out of bed, I noticed the red-ish ring of irritated skin around my wrist.

Formed by handcuffs. . .Looks like all that actually happened. . .

I felt a somewhat sickly feeling filling me at the thought that a dog had somehow gotten into my home, One of my very few safe spaces.

Fucking hell. . .Should have known this place isn't even safe with them around. . .But how did they find out I was afraid of dogs?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

And Daire is assuming they set the dog on him on purpose to make him afraid, Any guesses how that's gonna go?

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen