Chapter 68: Shouted words

Still no more Eric

--------------------------------------------------------

''Daire. This is the last time I'm telling you, Drop down the ladder.'' Alaric ordered, His eyes narrowed as he squinted up at me.

Letting out a bark of laughter, I shook my head.

''Over your dead body. Bastard.'' I shouted down, Kicking my feet back and forth as I continued sitting calmly on the wire grate floor, My legs hanging over the edge.

Alaric sighed in annoyance before taking a step back, Running his hand through his hair.

''Daire don't make me come up there.'' Alaric snapped up at me, A scowl on his face as he placed his hands on his hips.

''I would love to see you try and get up here.'' I laughed out, Glaring down at him as I taunted him.

Rolling his eyes, Alaric moved over to stand right below where the ladder once hung down.

Pulling my legs up so they were crossed, I watched as Alaric tried to jump up and grab the ladder.

Had it been lowered even an inch more, He could have grabbed it, Thankfully, He just couldn't jump high enough.

I snickered quietly to myself as I watched him keep trying to reach the metal rungs of the ladder.

''Come on, I thought you were gonna come up here, Sure seems like you're still on the ground'' I mocked, Laying down as I spoke.

I wasn't really worried, If he made it up here I could push him down when he's climbing up.

I have the high ground. . .

Grinning, I was prepared to wait him out, That was until, There was a rumble from the once clear sky.

Looking up, I was surprised to see large dark grey clouds had covered the sky during the time we had been arguing.

My eyes widened before, A cold drop of water hit me square between my eyes.

This would have been nice. . .If it was summer, But seeing as it was fall, I was gonna be at risk of getting sick.

''Daire. Get down here.'' Alaric snapped out, Jumping for the ladder again.

This time, When he landed, He slipped on the concrete alleyway floor, The little rain that had started to pour down making the ground soaked seem to catch him by surprise.

I winced in sympathy at the rather concerning thud his body made when it hit the ground.

As much as I despised him, That thud did not sound good.

''Are you dead?'' I called down towards Alaric as he slowly sat up with a groan.

''Shut up Daire. I'm no longer in the mood to deal with your bullshit.'' Alaric snapped out right around the time Laszlo re-entered the alleyway.

''Sir? What happene-'' Laszlo started to ask before Alaric gave him a glare.

''Take a wild guess.'' Alaric growled out as he got to his feet, Moving over to the shorter man.

Laszlo glanced at Alaric before looking up, Finally spotting me.

He opened his mouth before closing it and looking down at the ground.

A small shiver made it's way through my body as the cold rain picked up speed, Turning into an all out downpour.

The once bright and bustling city was suddenly darkened as people scurried for shelter.

''You're going to have to come down sometime Daire.'' Alaric shouted up at me.

''Wanna bet?'' I demanded, Glaring down at him as the rain continued to pour down.

My hair and clothes were fully soaked by now.

Oh yeah. . .I'm gonna get sick. . .Great.

Surprisingly, Alaric actually left the alley, Laszlo following along behind him like a lost duckling.

Clearly this must be a trap. . . As soon as I climb down they'll come and get me. . .I'll just wait up here until they give up. . .

--- Time skip ---

Maybe this wasn't a trap after all. . .

The rain had let up, Leaving me shivering and sneezing in the cold fall wind, My clothes soaked and my hair not fairing much better.

I had curled up into the fetal position after a while, Trying to preserve as much warmth as I could.

Fuck it. I'm too cold to deal with this. I'm climbing down. . .

Pushing on the ladder, I nearly swore out loud.

Had my teeth not been chattering, I'm sure I would have, However, I didn't for fear I'd bite my own tongue.

The rain had frozen into a thin layer of ice, Causing the ladder to be stuck, Frozen in place.

Scowling and shivering, I gave the ladder another strong kick.

''Fuck y-you, U-U-Useless piece of s-s-scrap metal!'' I hissed out, Stuttering as I shook like a leaf.

The latter rattled but didn't budge at all.

So this. This is how I die? What a fucking waste. . .

Glancing down at the alleyway below, I frowned.

The option to just jump down did not look promising. . .

The hard slightly ice covered ground below looked not only slippery but based upon the used and slightly broken needles on the ground gave me the feeling that if I jumped, It'd be the last time I'd ever jump.

Well fuck me. . .

The sound of footsteps made my heart leap.

That someone who could help me?

My attention snapped towards the Alley entrance, Only for my heart to sink as Laszlo. Walked back into the alleyway.

He was no longer in his uniform, Instead, He was wearing a warm looking jacket and far more casual clothing.

. . .You know what, Death doesn't seem so bad now that I think about it. . .

I narrowed my eyes slightly as Laszlo glanced up at me.

''Still refusing to come down?'' He asked, His voice quieter than I've heard it before.

''Yup.'' I snapped out around my chattering teeth.

I could see Laszlo arch an eyebrow before he sighed and looked around briefly.

He grabbed a nearby trashcan and rolled it beneath the ladder.

Oh shit. . .

I watched in annoyance as he calmly climbed on top of the can before pulling himself up onto the ladder.

''If y-y-you even try t-t-to come up here I-I-I'll push you d-down.'' I hissed out between chattering teeth.

Of course, He ignored me.

Well, I warned him. . .

------------------------------------------------------------------

:)

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen