Chapter 81: Terror

:D

--------------------------------------------------------------

The drive to Eric's place was quiet and somewhat awkward.

None of us really wanted to break the ice thin silence that filled the car.

As soon as the car parked, I hopped out, Making a bee-line for the front door.

''Aye, Careful! Ya don't wanna trip!'' Eric called out to me, Making me pause long enough to realize that it might not be the best idea to run in the pitch darkness of night.

Soon enough, Eric and a hesitant Laszlo joined me at the sidewalk to the front door.

''. . .This is very far from other houses. . .'' Laszlo mused, A small frown on his face as he looked around at the empty field and forests around Eric's house.

''Nah, There's ah house right in those woods'' Eric said, Gesturing towards the pitch black darkness of the woods behind his house.

Well that's not concerning or creepy at all. . .

''Is it. . .Inhabited?'' Laszlo questioned, Glancing past the fenced in paddock and towards the woods.

''Aye, It is. . .Just not by people'' Eric informed us, Giving us a lopsided smile as he unlocked and opened the front door.

''Oh lovely, So there's a creepy murder house in your woods?'' I questioned, Jumping straight  past any logical thought about this place in the woods.

Eric paused, Blinked once in surprise before turning his full attention to me.

''How'd ya know someone was killed there?'' Eric questioned before grinning as I stared at him, My heart stuttering slightly as I suddenly felt very un-safe outside.

Glancing over at Laszlo, I could see his brows furrowed in thought as we both followed Eric inside, My speed much quicker than his.

As soon as the lights were on and the door was closed and locked behind us, I could feel some of the tension leave my shoulders.

Sighing, I leaned against Eric as he smiled down at me.

''That was a real dick move you know'' I started, My mind having calmed down enough to realize he must have been messing with me.

''Making up a story to scare us''  I accused, My voice wobbling slightly as I closed my eyes, Leaning my head against him.

''. . .Wasn't it a family of three? Two fathers and one son?'' Laszlo questioned, Catching Eric's attention.

''Aye, It was, How'd you know?'' Eric questioned, Sounding surprised.

Wait. . .Is he not joking? 

''When I first joined the force I tried to help solve the very old case. . .Came up with nothing . . .Like the other detectives and officers. . .'' Laszlo explained as my heart sunk.

''What. . .Exactly happened? To the family'' I questioned, Doing my best to not sound like I was genuinely terrified.

I believe in the supernatural, Ghosts and Demons and all the sort, My Dad and grandpa also believed in them, Both of them claiming to have seen one or the other at one point in their life.

So hearing that someone might have died tragically nearby was a bit alarming and concerning to me.

''You want the short explanation or the long one?'' Laszlo questioned before Eric answered for me.

''Ah've never heard the long version before, Just the ah-brig- ed version'' Eric said, Making me sigh despite the growing concern inside me. 

''Abridged Eric. . .Not ah-Brig-ed'' I corrected, My voice slightly strained.

He just hummed, Ushering Laszlo and I towards the couch.

I sat down as close to the lamp as I could as Eric easily and calmly sat down between Laszlo and I on the couch, His arms draped over both of our shoulders.

''So. . .The murder happened about twenty seven years ago'' Laszlo started as I snuggled in close to Eric's side.

Sure it was un-manly, But. . .I was feeling suddenly pretty cold, As if it was the middle of the winter.

 Ah yes. . .That's totally a good sign. . .

''It was close to Halloween when the fire department was called to the forest, Apparently a fire had broken out and one of the neighbors called them, Worried when the family that lived in those woods didn't escape before the edges of the forest was engulfed in flame'' Laszlo continued, Pausing when Eric let out a quiet 'ooh'.

''Ah always wondered why all tha trees at the edges were younger than the ones further in'' Eric muttered as I stared at them in shock.

Why the hell are they both so fucking calm about this?

''Yeah. . .The fire department managed to put out the fire before it could spread into the inner part of the forest, Surprisingly enough. . .'' Laszlo started up again.

''The firemen headed into the forest to make sure the fire was out and too see if they could find the family. . .'' He continued, His shoulders tensing up slightly.

When he was quiet for a while, I decided to speak.

''So. . .Did they find the family?'' I questioned, My voice much quieter and shakier than I would like to admit.

''Oh. . .Yeah, They did. . .The fathers were strung up in two trees by their entrails, Their son was positioned below where they were dangling from the trees, His hands nailed together and his legs coated in concrete so he was stuck kneeling in a praying position'' Laszlo said bluntly all in one go.

''Fucking hell. . .'' I whispered, My eyes wide as my blood started to run cold.

I felt Eric's arm tighten around me, Pulling me closer.

''There were no fingerprints or footprints in the blood that coated every thing, Or anywhere else on the scene'' Laszlo continued as a shiver ran down my spine.

''Half the force worked on the case and still no clues were found, No one knows how the fire started, Nor who killed the family. . .But there have been similar attempts on other groups who lived near the forest'' Laszlo said simply.

''What the fuck do you mean similar attempts?'' I demanded, My voice pitched up in fear.

''Groups of two male adults and one younger male have been randomly attacked near those woods. . .No one is able to describe their attackers but so far all of the victims have survived. . .Well. . .Except for the family. . .'' Laszlo explained before suddenly, The lights flickered out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Late chapter and all that. . .

Anyways! Like always, Have a good day/night and find a better book! - fallen