Chapter 44:

And we find out who saved Daire, Also Alaric shows up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My unconscious dreams were filled with bright lights and the familiar smell of a hospital.

Thankfully, They were not long lasting as I fell into darkness.

--- Awake ---

My eye lids slowly flicked open, The early morning light streaming in through my curtains being the only light in my room.

 My room? Wait, Was all that a dream?

I started to sit up before my little question was answered.

I flopped back down onto my bed with a hiss as throbbing pain raced through my body from the base of my spine.

More accurately, From my rear.

My whole body was sore, As if I had fallen from a building.

''So it wasn't a dream'' I croaked out, My voice surprisingly raspy and broken sounding.

Reaching a hand up, I winced slightly as my finger tips lightly touched a large ring of bruises around my neck.

I started to feel sick again as memories of that pig of a man choking me as he tore everything up down there started to flash across my mind.

Rolling over onto my side, I curled up into the fetal position, Wincing in pain as such simple movement caused the scabs that had formed over the tears to rip off a bit.

I felt dirty and well. . . Tainted.

All around I felt sick and so very unclean.

As I wallowed in my pain and sorrow, I failed to hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

''Daire? Are you up sweetie?'' Dad called, Making me jump ever so slightly.

I tilted my head back slightly, Just enough so I could see him out of the corner of my eye.

He was standing in the doorway, Holding a glass of water in one hand and something else in his other hand.

''Dad? Did you save me?'' I asked, My voice still raspy sounding.

He gave me a sympathetic look as he moved over to sit at the edge of my bed.

''No, That would have been your godfather'' He explained as he set the glass down on my bedside table.

''Gramps? Grandpa is here?'' I asked, That bit of information cheering me up the smallest bit.

Dad dashed that little bit of joy very quickly though.

''No, He had to head back home, He stayed for two days though'' He said, Adding on that last very concerning bit.

''Wait what? How long was I out?'' I asked, Sitting up briefly before slowly laying back down, A whimper of pain escaping me at the throb of pain that shot up my spine.

''Well, You haven't really been fully out, You've sort of just been drifting in and out of consciousness the past two days'' Dad explained nervously.

I was about to ask why when he continued.

''If it makes you feel any better, Gramps did spend time with you when he wasn't trying to hunt down the men who did this to you'' Dad said, Finally setting down what was in his other hand next to the slowly warming glass of water on the side table.

Pills.

''He was hunting them down?'' I asked, Surprised at that little bit of information.

So he must not have landed a kill shot that night. . . Makes sense. . . He is like seventy something. . .