eleven

Luci

I was descending.

Memories of my first birthday party with my mom, the time I scraped my knee badly when I was six, my first day of high school, and millions of other memories fluttered my mind.

I didn't know where I was but I felt at peace somehow.

I didn't feel my body.

I was just a being floating around in my own subconscious.

It was dark though.

The lower I sunk the more I could see a faint red light.

I reached out to grab it, but it was too far away.

My body sunk lower and lower and the red light split into two. It was then I realized that it wasn't a light.

It was a pair of eyes.

The eyes seemed to dance in circles as if enticing me to come meet them. They looked cold, and daunting but they also seemed a bit familiar.

When I finally reached, what I assumed was the bottom. The pair of eyes stared through my soul.

They looked livid, but then turned soft. The eyes started to grow bigger and soon the entire area I was in reflected a giant red light.

I heard a loud breath that mimicked a sigh go around the room.

My surroundings started to feel warm and my subconscious became fuzzy.

"It's not your time yet." The eyes spoke.

It's voice was like silk and each syllable was annunciated.

"Where am I?" I asked.

The eyes blinked and seemed to study my face for a second.

"Gehenna." It declared. "Or at least your soul is here. Your body is still up there."

I hadn't heard of it before but it felt familiar. I floated closer to the red light.

"Oh," I replied. "Am I dead?"

The eyes laughed and blinked slowly.
"Yes, and no. Your soul is rejecting your current placement. I'll send you back up soon."

"Soon? Why not right now?"

"Because sweetheart, I have to show you something."

I was taken aback by the term of endearment. I couldn't physically feel or see my body but I somehow made subconscious movements.

"What are you going to show me?"

The room cleared of red and suddenly went back to pitch black. The red eyes came closer to me.

"Think of it as an introduction."

A sudden flash of light appeared in the center of the room. It was a big bright rectangular screen.

"Are you my dad? Lucifer I mean."

The eyes laughed and it boomed throughout the room.

"No sweetheart. I'm not your dad."

The screen began to static and it looked like a giant broken TV.

"Oh," I said. "Who are you then? Or what are you? I should say."

The eyes didn't reply. Instead it squinted its eyes at the rectangular light. I assumed it was focusing its energy the way the light started to change.

"Are you... God?" I asked. My voice trembled as I awaited its answer.

"You think you descended thousands of feet into a dark state to end up in Heaven with God?"