thirty-two

Saint

*chapter contains Saint hopelessly adoring Luci. You've been warned.

"Come home with me," I said.

Luci sat on the counter while I fed her spoonfuls of birthday cake. Her fingers weaved through my hair as I placed the spoon back on the plate beside her.

"You know I can't," she sighed. "My mom would freak out if I didn't come home tonight. Besides it's already late."

I brought my thumb to the corner of her mouth and wiped away the excess frosting. She smiled at my gesture and wrapped her legs around the back of my thighs to pull me in closer. I opened my mouth when she brought a spoonful of cake to my lips. It was sweet and savory but had the right balance of everything.

"Then let me come home with you," I suggested.

I didn't want to be too persistent, but she was currently the only person in my life that I liked being around. At home, I was being ostracized by my entire family, I realized that I didn't have any true friends, and Kate was merely here as a favor for my dad. Luci was the only person who had the right to hate me, but didn't.

And it was getting really hard to sleep without her next to me. Either the same nightmare would come back, or I couldn't sleep at all.

"There's no way you could sneak into my house without my mom noticing," she said. "And besides what about Kate?"

I glanced at Kate who was still passed out on the couch.

"Yeah you're right," I said. "Forget I asked."

She frowned and cupped my cheek with her hand. "Is everything all right?"

I hadn't told her about the argument I had with my mom before I came here, and I wasn't going to bring it up. It was her birthday, and I wanted to make sure that everything was about her.

"I'm fine," I whispered. "Don't worry about me."

"Okay," she replied, giving me a small smile. "I guess we kind of went over boundaries today then?"

My fingers loomed over the marks on her neck. Some of them were the ones I had given her but a good majority were Khalil's. My jaw clenched at the fact and my eyes narrowed.

"It was only a matter of time darling," I sighed. "Truth be told I didn't think we'd last long."

"Then why make the stupid rules in the first place?" she asked.

"I thought I was doing the right thing by trying not to overcomplicate whatever this is. And Celia kept saying how I wasn't good for you, and that I'm making things harder by being around you," I explained. "But to be honest..."

I grabbed her waist and closed the space between us. My body stood directly in between her legs and I grabbed her chin and lifted it. Staring at her lips, I decided to indulge into the sin and kiss her. Her lips immediately parted open and her hands tugged my loose black curls.

I hated kissing people, but kissing Luci made me forgive the world. Her kiss was like a prayer and I was a sinner begging to be heard. I groaned into her mouth when she pulled me in closer. Her body immediately got hot so I pulled away for a moment so we could catch our breath.

Our foreheads met, as our breathing slowed. I stared into her dark brown, almost black eyes and whispered,

"I don't really give a fuck about what Celia thinks."