49

Luci

* trigger warning: daddy issues

"Luci," a voice spoke behind me. It was deep with an added layered base to it. Not one I had ever heard before.

My body was growing hotter each second as I held Saint's cold hands. The bracelet I made him was still on his wrist.

"I'll wear this forever," he had told me.

And unfortunately, he would.

"Lucille," the voice spoke again.

I ran my thumb over his eyelids, then his cheeks. Desperate to feel some warmth.

He's just sleeping.

He was going to wake up, and everything would be okay.

"Lucille!"

I felt a hand touch my shoulder, and my body burst into flames. But even with the fire, the hand never left my shoulder.

I looked at the hand and then the face of the monster who had abandoned me. I tried to keep it together. I tried to stop the tears from running down my face, but I couldn't.

He looked just like me.

Same rich brown skin.

Same coily red hair.

Same brown eyes.

It was no wonder my mother resented me. The one thing she loved came out looking like the person she wanted to forget.

He was staring at me.

Peering into my soul and mind, trying to get a glimpse into some amount of the life I have lived. The life I journeyed through alone without any paternal guidance.

"Stop it," I demanded. "You don't get to see my life. You don't deserve to know me."

He remained quiet and kept staring into my eyes. Almost as if he could not believe I was real.

I didn't believe he was real or genuinely in front of me.

"She's beautiful," he said.

I looked away from him and squeezed Saint's hand for support. I'd imagine that he would have squeezed it back, kissed me on the forehead, and told me it would all be okay.

He wouldn't force me to talk to the man I was supposed to call my father. He'd give me a choice.

I imagined he would yell. Only Saint would yell at Lucifer. He'd scream, "How could you abandon this angel?" He would know exactly what to say.

"Maybe you should give her a minute, sir," Roderick spoke.

I glanced as he wiped angel blood off his arm and cracked his neck. He stood close to my mother, and I watched as Lucifer's eyes glowered.

"She's my daughter, Roderick," he spoke. "I do not need your input."

The power dynamic was evident. Lucifer could command any room he stepped him, and Roderick seemed to fall in line so quickly.

"Maybe not, sir," Roderick smiled. "But I've been looking after her since she was born. Surely I know her just a tad bit more than you do."

Suddenly I didn't feel like they were talking about me anymore.

"What are you getting at?" Lucifer questioned. "And get away from Mallory."

"You have no right to say her name!" Roderick blurted out before slapping his hand over his mouth.