fourty three

Luci

love me harder (ariana grande )

Roderick did not lie when he said he was going to train us.

It was the day after the dining room fiasco, and we had been in the training room for the last two hours.

The twins were sparring in the corner letting their new wings stretch out.

Roderick had made Celia and Marcus fight one another while he instructed me, Khalil, and Saint.

Saint stood in the middle of the room as Roderick critiqued his form. Kate didn't teach him much so Saint wasn't naturally gifted at using his abilities like I was.

"Keep your arms up for defense, Saint!" he barked out. "Center every form of energy and then release it."

I watched as Saint closed his eyes and centered his hands forward like Roderick taught him. It seemed as if he was trying to create some form of ice but nothing was coming out.

He tried again and grunted when he was met with the same outcome.

"Stop," Roderick sighed.

He walked over to Saint and stared into his eyes.

"What is the matter with you?" he asked. "You seem distracted."

"Nothing," he said.

"Now is not the time for distractions, Saint," he said. "This is do or die. You need to be on your A-game."

"I said it's nothing!" he shouted.

"I don't need attitude right now," Roderick glared. "Go up and take a break. Come back down when you're ready to give me your all."

Saint ran a hand through his freshly dyed hair.

It shocked me this morning when I saw that his blond roots were completely gone. He had completely re-dyed his hair and cut a few inches off. It could no longer be placed in a bun, and it was not as fun to grab.

He walked right past me and climbed the bars to the main room. My stomach fell at the unusual disregard of my presence. I turned around to and follow him but I was stopped.

"Luci, you come over here," Roderick demanded.

Reluctantly I walked toward him and stood. He pointed toward Khalil and beckoned him over to us.

"I'm going to teach you two something important," Roderick said.

"You have nothing left to teach me," Khalil stated.

Roderick rolled his eyes as he watched Khalil walk away. Something mischievous flashed in his eyes. He turned to me and smiled.

"Watch this Luci," Roderick whispered to me.

He aimed his hands at Khalil and took a deep breath. The energy he was emitting was felt throughout the room.

A gust of wind passed me and when I look beside me Roderick was gone. The only thing left in his place were his clothes and shoes on the floor.

Khalil let out a groan and quickly fell to the floor. He abruptly stood up and stretched out his body. His movements were odd and unlike him. His eyes were glowing red and he grinned widely at me.

Marcus glanced over to where we stood and laughed at Khalil's disoriented state. He continued to spar with Celia, who also chuckled at Khalil.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Where's Roderick?"

"I'm right here," Khalil spoke.

His body jerked back as if someone had punched his stomach. Khalil laughed and shook his limbs to regain focus.