twenty

Saint

Kate reminded me of a single rose amongst a field of weeds. She was as rare as she was radiant. My soul seemed to light up when she was near. There wasn't an ounce of impurity or sin inside of her. She was perfect in every sense of the word.

She wasn't too fond of Luci though, and I didn't blame her. Sometimes it was hard to be around Luci because of how much my body internally despised her presence. Although hanging around her more often this past month made it bearable, it was still difficult.

After I dropped her off at work, Kate and I talked for awhile at the diner. It was a brief introduction about herself and her life. Although most would have found it boring to listen to a girl ramble on about herself, I was quizzically intrigued by anything Kate said. Her voice was captivating and I couldn't stop listening even if I tried.

"We should go back to your house," Kate said.

We had driven away from the diner after we had eaten. I looked at her for a split second and smiled.

"Yeah sure," I replied. "I'm a bit nervous though. Not sure how to tell my mom all of this..."

She gave me a small smile before placing a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be okay. Just explain to her what happened at Azure, like what you told me."

"Yeah, but I don't know if I should tell her about Luci being..." I trailed off. "Maybe I'll just focus on meeting Japheth and going to the house."

Kate placed a hand on my neck and played with the necklace she had given me. I noticed her frown, but she immediately covered it up when I stared at her.

"You don't have to protect that demon," she said. "And besides, things like this aren't new to Arabella- I mean your mother. I'm sure she'll just be glad that you told her."

She was right, or at least I thought so. The conversation should go well. I would just explain to my mother how I knew I was an angel, and then ask her why she would keep something like that from me. It should be easy enough.

"Oh, and you have to tell her that I will be staying with your family for the time being," she reminded. "Just until I'm done training you."

"I won't forget," I promised. "But what exactly are you training me for?"

We pulled into my house and I drove through the large golden gates. Parking my car, I pulled my key out the ignition and took off my seatbelt.

"Suscitatio," she replied.

I blink hard and wave of confusion washed over me.

"It means awakening," she giggled. "Since you are not fully an angel you need to earn your wings."

"Earn my wings?" I asked. "Why would I need to earn my wings? How would I even be able- "

She placed a finger over my lips and my breathing paused momentarily.

"So many questions," she laughed. "You'll earn your wings by proving you can be an angel."

I nodded and she continued, "you'll become an angel but doing good acts. Charitable acts that are meaningful. You have to want to become a better person and rid yourself of impurities and sin."

My stomach fell as she continued to speak. I wasn't a terrible person but I definitely was not "pure".

"Define impurities..." I said.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and straightened out her white dress. It was long and unblemished. It was loosely fit on her and made her look like an angel.