~5 Why ♥

Present Day:

Damon sat in the boarding house library, looking through books, while thinking about the last three weeks

Damon sat in the boarding house library, looking through books, while thinking about the last three weeks. He'd spent all that time looking for ways to bring Bonnie back, he's come up empty. He's failed. Every road came to a dead end. He felt useless and he hated it. He hated that there seemed to be nothing he could do to bring back the woman he loved, and the only woman who truly loved him.

"If you're going to just stand there and not help find a way to bring Bonnie back, leave." he hissed at the sound of someone entering the library.

"Can we talk?"

Damon sighed. "I just said -"

"I know what you said, Damon. I just - I need to know."

"Please, leave." he said.

"No."

He turned and looked at her. "Caroline?" a small yet annoyed smirk on his lips.

"I won't." she said then sighed. "Damon -"

"Why can't you just let it go, Caroline?" he groaned.

"Because she's my best friend and you're in love with her. I need to know why. " she said.

"Caroline -"

"Why did you fall in love with Bonnie? Was it because you got tired of waiting to come back to Elena?" she questioned, earning a growl from him. "Look, if I am going to help you bring back my best friend I need answers." she said.

After a long silence, he spoke. "I did not fall in love with Bonnie because I got tired of waiting for Elena." he said.

"Then why? What happened?" Elena asked, this time, entering the library.

Damon turned around to find everyone - that cared for Bonnie - standing in the library. "What is this? Story time?"

"Damon, please." Caroline said.

Damon watched as everyone moved to find a place to sit as he took a seat on the table that he'd covered in books and maps. He then turned to Elena who was staring at him intensely, "Are you sure that this is what you want because what I am about to say -"

"I want to know, Damon." she says.

"I can't really tell you how I fell in love with Bonnie because I don't know. I can, however, tell you why I fell in love with her." he said as he looked around the room at all of them.

"Come on, tell us." Caroline groaned impatiently.

Damon takes a deep breath. "She's selfless. Kind, generous, brave, beautiful and a kick-ass witch," he said, smiling at his memories of their time spent together."She's the only person I know who would do anything for the people she loved and not concern herself with the consequences." he said.