(STC) Chapter 33: [Kafkaesque]

=====

This Chapter will be subject to future changes!

I apologize to those who have made it thus far,

but I plan to rewrite this chapter in the future

======

Hey Rye, what do you think will happen to us in the future?

"What do you mean Talulah?"

Mmm, never mind that.

"Are you afraid that we can't be together?"

Yeah...

"Me too. This world won't allow us to be together."

We have to try Rye, we have to.

"I'll try my best for us. We just need to escape."

When we do, will you promise me that you will be with me till the end?

"I will. I promise. Love you Talulah!"

Shh! Quiet!

"Sorry."

I love you too Rye.

----------------------------

The snowstorm dwindled into small periodic showers that gently layered their heads and shoulders. Eventually, it disappeared allowing the sky and the sun to reign once again. Food, medicine and arms restored their withering morale. Mouths were fed; illnesses were treated. A sweeping peace warmed everyone's hearts. Hostilities were smothered in light of his arrival.

Kaiser Rye immediately set out to help the Infected. Within days the Infected were resting with bright smiles and larger stomachs. The Draco became a beloved member to the Infected community. Whenever he came around he was greeted with hugs and smiles, mostly from the children, and he would respond with the same thing. His men helped distribute their supplies earning themselves a good reputation amongst the Infected.

Now it's the start of another month: February; a new dawn was about to rise in their presence. 

"There, you should start feeling better." A glowing hand removed itself from a little girl's forehead.

"Can I go play now?" She asked.

"Yes you can go play."

"Thank you mister Kaiser!"

The girl instantly sprang to her feet and pranced away. The Draco let out a quiet laugh before he picked up a bloody rag and threw it into a nearby campfire. He watched it shrivel up and reduce to ashes. He wiped his hands on a rag and threw that into the fire as well. An old man in a white coat approached him.

"Are you done Mr. Rye?" He asked.

"Yes I am Dr. Krume," Kaiser Rye stated. "That's the last of the sick children."

"Without you and your men, we would have had a hard time treating all of the sick and feeding them. Thank you Mr. Rye."

"You shouldn't be thanking me Dr. Krume. I should have returned sooner, but ever since my boss' murder, the guys had a hard time deciding who will lead them. Eventually I took over, and we were able to find our way back."

"Nonetheless, we are grateful for your arrival." 

 Kaiser Rye put on a somber face and fiddled with his scarf. He kicked some dirt, snuffing out the campfire beside him, and he walked with him to a boiling cauldron. Multiple people were gathered there. Little children were spreading gossip, eating, and chatting with the only one adult accompanying them. Before the Draco and the doctor arrived, they shushed each other and tried to conceal their words, but to no avail.