[Chapter 64] "Sanguine" - "III"

---

If I could relive the moments that led to the calamity, I would. I would not have allowed the army to find an opening in our forces, a weakness within our strengths, a rat in our ranks. And if such a possibility could be obtained, I fear that it will change nothing. Even in our brightest moments, dark shadows were lurking behind us. It was cold there, sometimes scorching hot, and none dare venture further.

And despite all of this, one person braved the darkness to vanquish our fears. But he was unable to do so. Kaiser Rye drew the ire of the army and couldn't escape their grasp. He was aware that conflict was inevitable, but for the sake of our blissful peace, for our Marzanna, he prepared silently. I vividly remember when he told Patriot: "Gather your men. I no longer have mine."

He informed me days before the Ursus Empire attacked. He waited upon a grassy plateau for the impending storm. But did not anticipate the Empire's Blades...

---
Three Weeks Till...
---

A cacophony of shells and rockets burst in the air. Smoke climbed to the vast corners of the sky. Blood flowed into small rivers as it gushed from the bodies of fallen soldiers. One after another, lives were taken by others. A nightmarish battlefield sprouted in a land once untouched by civilization. Now the land was defiled by flesh and bones. The fighting could be heard by nearby cities.

Artillery shells were dropped from above by large drones hovering in the sky. The ground was being unearthed by the onslaught of explosives. Soldiers took cover under artificial dunes and ditches. And out in no man's land was Kaiser Rye fending off an Imperial Striker. The massive siege weapon the Ursus soldier held was a mix of a harpoon and a spear-gun; it was only inches away from impaling the Draco's heart.

"Get off me!" Kaiser Rye roared, kicking the Striker's stomach, grappling with him, snatched the weapon out of his hands and sank it deep into the Striker's chest. Blood oozed out of the soldier's body.

In the distance, Kaiser Rye saw Patriot taking on countless Ursus soldiers at once. The Wendigo swung his enemies away with his spear, destroying them like flies. The tide of battle is in their favor but they have to stop the Ursus invasion quickly. Kaiser Rye grabbed a spear off the ground and charged forward. Patriot's Guerrilla soldiers put their backs and souls into their defense, and they were surviving.

Kaiser Rye charged at an Ursus soldier from behind. He pushed the spear through his enemy's chest; the tip of the spear was drenched in red. He pulled out the spear and went to his next target. Then a blade sank into his back, digging into his skin. He yelled in pain, clenched his teeth, and turned to face his next target. He grabbed the Ursus soldier's sword mid-swing and kicked him in the chest, fracturing his ribs, bursting his heart. Soon he would reign victorious. There were fewer Ursus soldiers within his view; the Imperial Army is thinning. He rushed to Patriot's side.

"We can push forward, Patriot!" He said. "Give the order to your soldiers!"

The Wendigo slammed his spear into the ground, creating fissures in the ground. Countless soldiers were launched into the sky like dolls. He planted his colossal shield into the ground and went into a defensive stance. His red eyes narrowed. He eyed something in the distance. Particularly black snow.

"No. It is not yet time," Patriot stated.

"What? We already broke their formation. Now is time to strike," Kaiser Rye rebutted.

"Look around."

The sky suddenly darkened. The smell of tar and smoke arose; a pungent stench came from the numerous corpses lining the ground. Black lines began to sink into the ground. And along with them came snow, black snow. Figures in black can be seen surrounding them; a total of five could be seen. Each of them an eldritch war machine concealed under cloaks and inside tubes. They stood with their hands to their side. Every step they took claimed a part of the land as their own.