Ch186: Clary's Packing

Clary had been thinking alot about love lately. Love and life, and the future to be more specific. She was glad Jace seemed happier when she'd seen him visiting Alec last month. His little bird comment made her pretty sure he knew it had been her who'd convinced Celine to visit and paid for her plane ticket. There had been something about his manner that day that made Clary feel like her presence didn't upset him anymore. The times that she'd seen Jace before then, it had almost seemed like looking at her had caused him pain.

Clary didn't know what this change meant. Had he forgiven her? Was he still in love with her like Simon thought he was? Now that school was over and Clary was nothing more than a barely employed blob on her friend's couch, what should she do with her life?

The obvious answer to at least half her problem was to look for a full time job. Just getting this part time one had been such a bother she wasn't sure she was going to enjoy the process at all. Though she didn't regret using most of her savings to help Celine fly up for Christmas, it meant she'd have to start saving for her own place all over again. The great thing about living with Malec was that even on a part time job she could manage quite easily since they weren't charging her rent.

Even so, was that enough? Did Clary just wanna spend her time folding clothes at Alicante Attire with Izzy and coming home to Mr. and Mr. Soulmates every day? Was that her future?

"Urg!" Clary groaned, burying her face in her pillow.

"Oh cheer up," Alec's voice chirped from down the hall.

Though she hasn't asked specific questions, Clary knew whatever had been bothering Magnus was over now. Since everyone had gotten back from the holidays, and especially since Alec and Magnus's weekend at his aunt's place, the unspoken anxiety around them had completely disappeared. Clary was glad of it, and decided not to ask any nosy questions. She'd just been a good house sitter and fed the cats while they were gone.

"Easy for you to say Mr. Always Cheerful," Clary grumbled at her roommate.

"Just because you don't know what you wanna do with your life, or if you'll ever be happy in love, is no reason to sulk on the couch with your face in a pillow," Alec stated.

Feeling exacerbated by her friend's words, Clary sat up to look skeptically at him. "Okay so in your opinion what is a problem worth sticking your face in a pillow for?" she asked. "Because the ones you listed seem pretty worthy to me."

Alec just shrugged. "Can't think of any," he said.

"Useless," Clary sighed, and returned to her face in pillow state.

"Don't you have work to do?" Alec said with a raised eyebrow. "Didn't Jordan ask you to help him with his website?"

"Finished that yesterday," Clary explained. Almost immediately after Jordan returned from his romantic vacation with Maia, Clary had got a text from him about a job opportunity. She had, of course, said yes at once and thrown herself into the design work for weeks on end. But now she was done and had nothing to occupy her until her next shift at the clothing store.

"Ah, so what you are really grumbling about is a lack of project," Alec replied. "Have you noticed how badly the bathroom needs cleaning?"

Clary was actually considering cleaning the bathroom out of sheer boredom when she was spared by her ringing phone.

"Saved by the bell," Alec chuckled as he walked away.

"Hello," Clary said into her phone, totally unaware who it was because she'd answered too fast to check the caller ID.

"Hey Clare," Jon's voice spoke into her ear. "Are you busy?"

"Not even a little," Clary replied sadly.