Chapters 10-12

Chapter Ten: Magnus's Jokes

"What do history teachers make when they want to get together?"

"I have no idea," Alec replied with only a slight eye roll.

"Dates!" Magnus grinned, unable to stop himself despite Alec's annoyed expression. "Oh and what do history teachers talk about on these dates?"

"I don't think I want to know," Alec said but he was smiling so Magnus decided his history jokes were a forgivable sin and continued.

"The good old days," Magnus laughed.

"You really weren't kidding huh?" Alec said shaking his head. They were sitting together at a table in the cafeteria with their textbooks and papers spread out before them. Alec had very foolishly referenced Magnus' previous conversation about his history skills. Alec had reminded Magnus of the comment he'd made during their first meeting with Aline when she'd joked that should she ever find a need for history facts or jokes in the future she should simply ask Magnus. Magnus was giving Alec a taste of his gifted mastery of history humor to prove just how talented he truly was.

"How do you to play the War of 1812?" Magnus asked.

"I believe you!" Alec implored him. "You can stop."

"By burning down a White House," Magnus smirked.

"Back to homework," Alec said firmly.

"Spoil sport," Magnus pouted. "If you don't like jokes how about pick-up lines." Magnus continued before Alec could say no and ruin his fun. "You must be related to Nikola Tesla because you're electrifying."

"You are relentless," Alec sighed. "You know that right?"

"So I've been told," Magnus said, smiling. "Though usually by Tessa. She likes to quote Charles Dickens to me... and sure technically speaking that's a historical drama but--"

"But you've decided it makes you even so that you can continue tormenting her with your history jokes," Alec said.

"Perceptive," Magnus confirmed. "Aren't you Alexander?"

"Alec," the blue eyed man corrected him.

"But Alexander is such a beautiful name," Magnus complained. "Why don't you like it?"

Alec shrugged. "My parents are the only ones who call me Alexander and usually only when they are mad."

"What could angelic Alexander ever possibly do to anger his parents?" Magnus teased.

"Believe me," Alec laughed. "I had my moments." Before Magnus could inquire as to what those moments might be Camille and Ralf walked into the cafeteria. Magnus froze. Just seeing her was enough to cripple his good spirits. It make him so mad he wanted to hit something, but it also reminded him of how happy he had been when she was on his arm rather than across the room on someone else's. The combination of misery, anger and loss hit Magnus all at once. The force of them overwhelmed him and he laid his head down on the table.

"Just ignore her," Alec said. Magnus felt Alec's hand on his shoulder and was thankful for the comfort, but didn't lift his head. Instead Magnus tried to hide his face more completely in his arms.

"I said ignore her," Alec repeated. "We have a great deal of homework to do remember?" Magnus could hear the smile in Alec's voice. Usually Magnus would call Clary at a time like this, but he was surprised to find Alec's presence to be just as reassuring as hers, if not more so. Magnus took a moment to compose himself before lifting his head.

Alec was smiling at him and Magnus tried to focus on his friend rather than on the emotional heart break across the room.

"You have an essay to write about the civil war remember?" Alec said obviously trying to distract Magnus. "And I have homework too." But despite Alec's efforts Magnus couldn't focus on homework. His eyes darted across the room to stare at her, or maybe he was glaring.