Ch194: Clary's Now

Even after escaping the looks of everyone in the restaurant, Clary couldn't believe she'd actually done that. The boldest romantic move she'd ever made in her life, and it had been in front of Jace's date! That must have been what Alec had been trying to tell her on the phone when she'd cut him off. Stupid stupid girl! Clary could have kicked herself.

All she wanted now was to curl up in bed and hide under the covers until the day ended! To that end she made her way home via bus.

Despite the embarrassment Clary did have a new appreciation for how hard it must have been for Jace to tell her how he felt all those years ago in the school cafeteria. She could only now understand how much she must have hurt him when she hadn't taken him seriously. At the time she'd been too busy worrying about Magnus. The thought made her laugh. Things sure had changed since then. Magnus was now in a strong and healthy marriage while she was still a mess. A total useless mess that she felt sure Jace didn't want anymore. The thought made her want her bed even more.

Getting off one bus, Clary waited at the station to transfer to another. She didn't often go downtown, as it was quite a ways away from Magnus's apartment where she was still staying. Clary knew that was the next task she had to tackle. She'd put herself out there emotionally, and now it was time to grow up. With school over, Clary needed to start thinking about career jobs. She needed to move out of her friend's place no matter how easy it was, and she needed to decide what to do next with her life. At least that would be something to focus on while she waited for Jace to reply to her little outburst. She knew there was a very good chance that nothing would come of it. Best to think of something else.

Getting off her second bus Clary started walking the last few blocks home. Since Paige had moved out Clary now had the guest room all to herself which was nice, but also kinda lonely. Even so, it wasn't as lonely as actually living alone, which Clary had never done before and wasn't looking forward to. How long was too long to crash at a friend's house after a long term break up? When did it become pathetic? Clary wasn't sure.

Either way it wasn't a problem she was going to tackle today. Walking in the front door Clary dropped her bags and ditched her coat before heading to her bedroom and collapsing onto the soft blankets. Rolling off the blankets, Clary managed to climb under them where she planned on spending the rest of the day.

It was lovely and warm under the covers. They felt protective somehow, like the consequences of the embarrassing things she'd done today couldn't reach her here.

Clary only realized she'd fallen asleep when she woke up to the sounds of voices. She could make out Alec's voice. He seemed to be greeting someone at the door. When Clary recognized the second voice her heart skipped a beat.

"Is Clary here?" Jace's voice asked.

"She might be," Alec's voice answered. "I didn't hear her come in, but that might have just been because I had my noise canceling headphones on."

"You mean the ones where you can't hear me calling your name when I stand right beside you?" Jace's voice replied with humor.

"Yeah those," Alec said. She heard Jace laugh.

Clary didn't hear any more voices after that, but she did hear footsteps. She guessed that Jace was now in the apartment.

Her hands tightened on the edge of the blanket covering her. Clary wanted even less to leave the safety of her bed now than she had previously. Why was he here? And so soon after her confession? Had he followed her from the restaurant, ditching his date in the process? What did that mean? Despite her best efforts Clary couldn't help but get her hopes up. His showing up so soon felt like a good sign. She knew she shouldn't get her hopes up. She knew it would just hurt so much worse if she was wrong, but she couldn't help it. Seven months. It had been over seven months since Jace had broken up with her, and somehow those seven months felt like way longer than her almost year in Paris.