Ch121: Clary's Reception

Clary was not drunk, but Jace sure waz pretty making his best man toast. Pretty... pretty boy. Her pretty boy. Okay, maybe she was a little tipsy.

"Good toast," Clary mumbled as Jace sat back down and she wrapped both her arms around one of his.

"Thanks," Jace chuckled.

"Is she drunk?" Simon's voice entered Clary's mind. She had a feeling Simon was sitting on the other side of Jace, with Izzy on the other side of him, but she hadn't turned to look. With her arms holding Jace's in a death grip, Clary stared at her plate. It was a light metallic silver colour with bronze detailing. There was a little cake left on it, but she wasn't looking at the cake. Clary was thinking about chains. Mean of her to chain pretty Jace to her, far far away. Mean. Mean Clary. Suddenly sulking Clary turned to rest her head on her boyfriend's shoulder. She felt Jace's lips gently kiss the top of her head and smiled. Pretty Jace. Hers now, but then far far away! Things were continuing to happen around her, but Clary didn't have the energy to deal with them. She closed her eyes, just wanted to exist for the moment.

"Yep," Jace's voice continued with a laugh. "She is most certainly intoxicated."

"That is so unlike her," Simon said.

"I know," Jace replied. Clary couldn't identify the emotion in his voice. Her fuzzy brain was having trouble deciphering the tone.

"Is she even awake?" Simon continued.

"Not sure," Jace replied.

"Oh please, of course she's awake!" It was Izzy's voice this time. "That's the oldest trick in the book. Look like your sleeping so you can listen into the conversation without people thinking you're there."

"Do you do that?" Simon asked. This time Clary could easily identity the playful nature of her best friend's tone. The best friend she had dated. She was also at her best friend's wedding, the best friend she hadn't dated. Really Clary needed new words for these boys. Unless of course, it was okay to have two best friends and distinguish them by who you have and haven't kissed?

"Maybe," Izzy replied. The tone of her voice was making it very obvious that she was grinning. Clary could picture her looking up at Simon with that cute loving expression she always used just with him. Sizzy was just so cute she wanted to pinch their cheeks. Clary was really happy for them. Especially now that she knew Simon had finally let go of his silly 'wait for no reason' notion of his. Clary was sure they were both happier for it, though sometimes she wondered if it was her fault Simon had felt the need to do that. Looking back on it, dating her best friend for fear of losing him from her life if she didn't, hadn't been the best plan ever. She should have probably said no, and hoped he got over the attachment. But then again, it had all worked out, so maybe his feelings would have separated them for a time, no matter how she had responded to them.

She was pretty sure everyone was still talking, but she wasn't really listening to them anymore. Clary could hear other people at the wedding if she focused her spinning mind. Jordan's voice was among the guests, along with Paige's. Clary would miss her friends when she went away. She knew Maia was here as well, though Clary couldn't hear her voice at the moment. Maia was more Simon's friend than hers, and she had to admit she would probably miss Maia less than everyone else. Even if she'd miss Magnus, Simon, Jordan, and Paige and look forward to seeing them when she returned, it was Jace who she'd miss most of all. Simon had Izzy. Magnus had Alec and Jordan and Paige had each other. It was Jace she was worried about. It was Jace that made her almost want to give it all up and stay here. Her Jace all alone and yet bound to her, chained. It all came back to chains. Chain him up then throw away the keys... not nice.

"What's that?" Jace asked. Clary blinked at him. Had she said something out loud?

"What'd I say?" Clary mumbled, lifting her head from his shoulder to look at him.