Ch172: Clary's Obligation

Clary couldn't help but be nervous. Everyone else had arrived, though she supposed not Jordan, but Jace still wasn't here. Was he avoiding her? It wasn't like she could have not attended a party being held where she lived, but that didn't mean she wanted to stop Jace from being where he wanted to be. Alec was his best friend after all and Jace should be able to attend any party his best friend threw without worrying about her being there.

At least classes had started again. Clary had welcomed the distraction. Only one semester and she was done, free. Paige, Izzy and Jordan all still had another year. She'd found out this evening while in a conversation with Magnus and Tessa, that Tessa was back in classes again though only twice a week. Still Clary was glad she'd decided to finish her education.

Where could Jace be?

Just then her phone rang and for one wild moment Clary thought it would be Jace.

"Hello," she said.

"Yes hello is this Clarrisa?"

"Speaking," Clary confirmed, though a bit thrown by hearing her full name.

"This is Susan from Alicante Attire," the woman said.

"Oh yes hello," Clary replied, surprised to hear from them as it had been weeks since her interview.

"I realize it's been a while but if you are still interested in that job we have an opening," Susan said.

"Yes I am," Clary replied, slightly stunned by her good luck.

"Great," Susan said. "Come by Monday morning around 9am. We can do all your paperwork at the same time. Oh and you'll be training with our other new hire."

"Thanks," Clary said. "See you then."

"Yes see you then," Susan said in a professional voice. "Goodbye."

Clary put away her phone and stood stunned for just a moment before two and two clicked in her head. 'Other new hire.' She was getting trained on the same morning as Izzy.

Clary was just about to find Izzy to tell her when all Clary's attention became instantly fixed on the front door. There stood Jace Herondale who she hadn't seen since the day he'd broken up with her right as she'd realized he was worth fighting for. Suddenly she was frozen in place.

She just stood there staring, hardly remembering to blink as he moved closer.

"Hey Clary," Jace said slowly. "I hope it's alright that I came."

"Of course," Clary said.

"I know Jordan chickened out and sent his girlfriend in to check the waters," Jace laughed a little though nervously. "But you were the one who said it would be okay if we talked so I thought-"

"Yes of course it's fine," Clary smiled at him.

"Great," Jace replied, also smiling.

And now it was time for Clary to say what she knew she would one day have to say since the moment she'd learned of it. The problem was she really didn't want to.

"How have you been?" Jace asked after a moment's silence.

"Good," Clary said. "Got a job actually. Just got the call before you walked in."

"Are you gone at the University now or did that Paris trip change your grad date?" Jace asked. "I can't quite remember if you ever told me."

"It slowed it down yeah," Clary said. "I have a few local credits to finish up here before I can graduate."

"Ah so how are your classes going?" Jace asked.

"Good," Clary replied. "But enough about me. How are you?"