Ch63: Izzy's Woes

Izzy had expected Simon to text her right away. In her experience, shy nerdy boys were the type to call basically the second they got a girl's number, especially a girl like her. Though she had to admit that technically she had little experience with shy or nerdy guys. They weren't generally her type, but somehow Simon was. She wasn't really sure why, but something about him appealed to her. So when November began without a call from Elevator boy, Izzy found herself surprised. Almost two weeks and the guy hadn't so much as texted her. She was trying not to take it personally. Plenty of other fish in the sea and all that, so she just hit up bars like usual, and tried not to think about it.

It didn't take long for Izzy to realize that the guy from her first night in town was a rarity around these parts. Izzy was a little picky when it came to men. She liked sharp dressers. Guys who took a little pride in their appearances rather than just hanging out in baggy tees. A few muscles never hurt, nor a chiseled jawline, but in general she liked classy guys best. She liked to be really attracted to the guy, as she always had a better time that way. Izzy often found herself disappointed when she went to the bar just down the street from campus. Sometimes she'd go out and just flirt with a bunch of semi attractive guys, then go home alone. It was still an okay evening all the same, though Izzy really was finding less fish in the sea here than back home.

Also her classes were turning out to be not as interesting as Izzy had hoped. They were very intro-like, and she was having trouble staying awake during her three hour lectures. This was probably why she was thinking so much about what her major should be, in the hope it would make her classes more interesting. The problem was that there were so many majors to choose from, she didn't yet have a clue which she wanted to devote the next four years of her life to. Marketing looked kinda interesting, though she wasn't taking that intro course till next semester. She was enjoying her psychology course quite a lot more than Econ 101, and Izzy's mandatory Introduction to Humanities first year class was total crap as far as she was concerned. Since her lucky roommate had already taken the course last year, Izzy was stuck complaining about it alone. With the lack of game in this town, Izzy was spending an increasing amount of time with Maia these days, who seemed to have quite the opposite problem.

"Remember that ex I told you about?" Maia asked when she returned to the dorms after class on Friday.

"Yeah," Izzy replied, turning in her chair to speak to Maia.

"Well I saw him today," Maia said. "In the school!"

"But you said he lives in your hometown?" Izzy replied.

"Yeah he does," Maia exclaimed. "I have no clue why he's here, and now I am worried he is gonna see me and then come over and talk to me, and it's gonna be awkward and sucky and, yeah."

"You know you could always just say no to the talking," Izzy reminded her friend with a shrug. "Walk away."

"Yeah, but he's so clingy," Maia whined. "I can't picture that working."

"This is why I try not to get involved with clingy guys," Izzy stated. She was very glad Maia didn't know anything about her being annoyed that Simon hadn't called. He was making her feel needy, which annoyed her to no end. Though she had technically jilted him in that elevator, at this point, it felt more like she had only teased herself.

"Too late," Maia groaned as she laid back on her bed and covered her face with her hands. "Already got involved, before he was clingy."

"If he's around the school I bet he has classes, which means he's been here since September," Izzy added. "That's two and a half months and he hasn't talked to you. Maybe he's just here for school and it had nothing to do with you." Maia sat up and gave Izzy a very skeptical look.