Ch141: Jace's Present

Jace couldn't help but smile as her face appeared on his computer screen.

"Hi!" Jace cried with enthusiasm.

"Hi yourself," Clary chuckled at him.

"It's really good to see you," Jace mumbled, slightly embarrassed. It felt like forever since he'd seen those beautiful green eyes and shimmering red hair, even if they were slightly grainy due to low quality video.

"Merry Christmas," Clary said smiling at him.

"I'll do my best," Jace sighed dramatically. "But it can only be so merry without you here."

"Way to lay on the guilt!" Clary accused. Jace just shrugged, unabashed.

"So, what are your holiday plans?" he asked.

"Some local friends have been showing me and Riley around," Clary explained. "It's strange. For such a beautiful city, so well known for its wonders, Paris doesn't really bother with Christmas. We went to the Champs Élysées, but apart from that December seems to be much like any other month here."

"Yeah that does seem strange," Jace smiled, then added thoughtfully. "I remember you talking about Riley. He was also in a long distance relationship, right?"

"Yeah, but Ben broke up with him," Clary sighed.

"What?" Jace asked shocked. "When?"

"A week ago," Clary said. "It was over the phone. Riley was so upset. We all took him out after to try and distract him."

"Did Ben give a reason?" Jace asked.

"I supposed," Clary said clearly annoyed. "Though not a good enough one if you ask me. Something about 'wanting to see what else was out there' with a hint of 'long distance is hard.' It was rather pathetic."

"How long had they been together?" Jace asked.

"Five years," Clary answered. "They were high school sweethearts."

"Oh wow, that is depressing," Jace sighed.

"Yeah, and honestly I'm sick of talking about it," Clary sighed. "I want to hear about you. How's your holiday been so far, back with your mom?"

Jace shrugged. "Lots of food," he began. "Twinkling lights. The usual really."

"Still, I'm sure your mother's very happy to have you home," Clary smiled.

"I'm not so sure actually," Jace replied. "She's been oddly jumpy. If I didn't know better I'd say she was trying to be sneaky about something, but that women doesn't have a dishonest bone in her body."

"Maybe she's waiting for the right moment to tell you something?" Clary shrugged.

"Maybe," Jace said skeptically. "But somehow I doubt it. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out."

"Fair enough," Clary smiled. Then suddenly her eyes lit up and she said with great enthusiasm. "Oh, I got you a Christmas present!"

"How?" Jace asked confused. "Also don't, cause I didn't get you anything."

"Oh hush," Clary scoffed. "You'll know it when you see it. And I didn't expect you to ship me something don't worry. The shipping would cost more than the present!"

"Hmm," Jace mumbled, narrowing his eyes. "Does this mean whatever you got me isn't something that was shipped?" He paused to think a moment while she merely grinned at him before adding, "What have you plotted?"

"Nothing you won't like," Clary grinned, innocently.

"Do I get any hints?" Jace asked, but Clary only shook her head. "Meany."