Ch164: Magnus's Worry

Magnus so wished he was somewhere else, and if not for Alec's pleading he would be. Magnus just couldn't understand why Alec was so set on him accepting his sire as a father. Sure, DNA proved they were genetically related, but family wasn't all about blood, and his aunt had been all the parent Magnus had ever needed. Getting his mother pregnant did not give John the right to all of a sudden show up and demand entry into Magnus's life. Besides, it was the 'all of the sudden' nature of it that Magnus didn't trust.

"See aren't we having a nice time?" Alec smiled at him.

"Oh yes," Magnus replied back tonelessly. "The best time."

"Just drop the sarcasm when John gets back from the bathroom would you," Alec sighed.

Magnus had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. They were in a restaurant celebrating Alec's sudden return to the land of unlimited credit cards. Magnus had hoped they could have had a nice dinner without a third wheel, but Alec had insisted on inviting him.

"Sorry about that folks," John said as he returned and sat down. "Where were we?"

"You were telling us about your newest entrepreneur adventure," Alec replied.

"Oh yes I'm working with a new start up," John continued. "For building self help courses online."

"What exactly does that involve?" Alec asked.

"Research for starters, building powerpoints and doing voice overs," John explained. "Also some marketing and promotion. Little bit of everything really. When a company is made of only three people everyone has to be multiple departments."

"I can imagine," Alec smiled.

"Were you still interested in joining now that you've graduated?" John asked.

"Yeah," Alec replied, making Magnus tense. He didn't want Alec anywhere near John's so called 'start ups'.

"Don't you think you should focus on building your career?" Magnus offered, trying to remain civil.

"I majored in business," Alec reminded Magnus. "I can pretty much do anything so why not start ups?"

Magnus could think of about a million reasons why not, but didn't want to make a scene.

"Exactly the energy I was hoping for!" John exclaimed. "Do you wanna maybe get together this weekend to get started?"

"I work weekends so how about during the week," Alec countered. "With classes over my days are wide open."

"Perfect," John smiled.

Magnus refused to join in the conversation, and thus was silent for the rest of dinner, though it took most of his self control to manage. He just couldn't understand why Alec was so trusting of this man simply because he was Magnus's genetic relative.

When the check came Alec paid it without blinking, using one of his parent's shiny credit cards with a smile on his face. John and Alec were talking of their plans later in the week, and Alec listened with great attention to every word John said as if he were expert at starting companies or something.

Finally, as they left the restaurant, the crisp night air broke over Magnus's face. It was almost over.

"So I'll see you Monday then," Alec was saying as they bid goodbye to John near the subway station.

"Ten sharp," John agreed as he waved goodbye, thanking them once again for dinner before moving out of sight down the stairs and into the station.

Magnus breathed a sigh of relief that his husband didn't seem to clue into.