Jace's Visitors

Jace had lost track of the toddler. Her crawling skills were quite a bit better than he'd remembered, and she fit into all the small places he couldn't see. The living room looked a little like it had been torn apart by thieves, and yet there was no toddler to be found, and Jace was starting to panic. Maybe babysitting hadn't been the best idea ever.

"Come out Lucie," Jace pleaded. "I have to take you home in an hour!" He heard a giggle and shuffling sound, but it must of echoed, because he didn't find her in the direction of the noise.

Just then, Jace heard the door opening, and turned hoping desperately for reinforcements. To his great relief, he saw Paige standing in his doorway.

"What on earth happened here?" she asked smiling.

"Babysitting," Jace stated very seriously. Paige closed the door behind her quickly, and Jace sensed she had some experience with kids in the way she did it, as if blocking the toddler's escape.

"As someone with four younger siblings," Paige began. "I know a thing or two. I'm sure we can find her."

"You're a lifesaver," Jace sighed in relief. "I don't think she wants to go home."

Paige smiled at him. "At least that means she likes being here with you."

"I suppose," Jace replied. "But if I can't return her, I doubt her parents would agree."

"Nah," Paige chuckled. "I'm sure her parents need the break. As long as she's in one piece, they'll ask again."

"Does anything rattle you?" Jace laughed as the two of them started searching together, listening for any noises they themselves weren't making.

"Plenty of things," Paige replied. "Just not adorable children, or dirty kitchens."

Working together, they made their way searching the smallest places in the apartment for Jace's little cousin once removed. They eventually found her hiding at the bottom of the basket of clean towels in the bathroom.

"Aha!" Jace exclaimed as he moved the towels aside and scooped her up into his arms. He'd been sure he'd searched here already, and suspected Lucie had been switching hiding places on him.

"No," Lucie objected. "No."

"Not, no Lucie," Jace explained. "Yes. Yes, home to mommy now."

"No," Lucie repeated. Jace sighed, holding her securely in his arms.

"Daddy is gonna be here to pick you up soon," Jace explained.

"No," Lucie said again. It seemed to be her favourite word.

"Good luck with that," Paige chuckled.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Jace said turning to her. "You didn't come here just to help me round up a toddler."

"No," Paige said. "Jordan was suppose to meet me here, but it seems he's lost track of time. We're going to see a movie. But where's Clary? She's missing out on the adorable baby."

"Clary's in class," Jace explained. "And I doubt she feels like she's missing anything. Clary doesn't want kids."

"Oh," Paige said suddenly. "Well, I can't say I understand that. I've known I wanted kids since I was thirteen.

"That's very decisive of you," Jace replied. "May I ask why?"

"I was babysitting for friends of my parents," Paige began. "And their little son, he must of been about 5 months old then, fell asleep in my arms with all his little fingers curled around one of mine. It isn't a feeling that's easy to describe, but in that moment I just knew."