Ch179: Clary's Plan

A part time job at Alicante Attire really wasn't going to cut it much longer. In the New Year, Clary would be done with her last few courses to make up for the credits she could only get locally, and missed while in the exchange program. Just one more final exam left and that was it. University would be over. The big wide world was out there, and honestly the whole thing scared her.

What was she gonna do with a bachelor's in Graphic Design? Originally she'd figured she'd design logos or do graphic art projects freelance for big companies and such, but she hadn't the faintest idea how to go about doing that!

Then she remembered that Simon had had this same problem. Sure he was unemployed now, but that was only because of Izzy covering their costs. If not for Izzy Clary felt sure Simon would be in the exact same boat as her. Maybe he could help or at least empathize.

"Well I agree it sucks," Simon said when she brought up the topic. "But that doesn't mean I have an answer."

"What can I say?" Clary chuckled. "Misery loves company. Thanks for understanding."

"Anytime," Simon replied with a shrug. They were sitting together in a corner of the university cafetiera. Text books and papers were spread out in front of Clary while Simon was simply keeping her company while reading a book.

"So how was the wedding?" Clary asked. Though she hadn't been invited to Helen and Aline's wedding she knew it had taken place yesterday. It had been a long time since she'd been roommates with Helen, and Clary hadn't exactly been great at keeping in touch. She had never expected an invitation, still she was happy for them.

"It was extravagant," Simon answered after a moment. "The Lightwoods don't know how to do anything halfway. We had a limo and we weren't even part of the wedding party." He paused then added. "Something seemed off with Magnus though. Has he talked to you at all?"

"No," Clary sighed, knowing exactly what Simon was referring to. "When I ask he says he's fine and well- I mean like he seems fine but there's just something- I don't know- something under the surface that isn't fine."

"Kinda like someone else I know?" Simon replied, raising his eyebrow.

"Huh?" Clary said. Simon lifted his finger and pointed right at her.

"You've been kinda the same lately," Simon told her. "Mostly alright with something sad just below the surface."

"Yeah but like I make sense," Clary grumbled. "Magnus doesn't."

"What do you mean?" Simon asked.

"I thought it was obvious why I'm a mess," Clary explained easily. "But Magnus has no reason to be like this. At least none that I can think of."

"Forget about Magnus for a moment," Simon said, placing his bookmark on the page he'd been holding open and properly putting his book down to give her his undivided attention. "Just because pain is easily understood doesn't make it any less painful."

Clary laid her head down on the table, right on her art history notes. She could feel the paper crumbling under her forehead. She really didn't want to talk about this. She never wanted to talk about this. Thinking about it was bad enough and she even avoided that when at all possible. "I thought we were talking about Magnus," Clary groaned.

"Until Magnus opens up to someone and explains what's wrong, no one can help him," Simon said. "But with you... I know you miss him."

Clary snorted. "Or I wouldn't ask about him so much, right?"

"Well yes that did give you away," Simon chuckled. "But still I'd have known."

"I've actually been thinking lately," Clary began slowly lifting her head slightly up, but still looking down at her notes rather than at her friend. "When school ends, when I graduate, I've been thinking-"