Magnus's Domestic

Magnus heard the click of the front door close and turned to collapsed on the couch. The last of their guests were gone and he wanted to sleep for about a week. Leaning his head back, Magnus closed his eyes, enjoying the silence. He felt, more than saw, Alec join him on the couch, hearing the springs in the couch creak as Alec moved closer. Magnus put his arm around his fiance as Alec rested his head on Magnus's shoulder. Neither of them spoke, and Magnus focused on their breathing. In and out at the same time. Two people joined together for life. For the rest of his life, Magnus would be next to Alexander. Had it all happened so fast, or had it taken ages? Magnus wasn't sure.

"Thank you," Alec whispered after a while.

"What for?" Magnus laughed, opening his eyes and turning to the other man.

"For indulging me tonight," Alec explained.

"I've made my bed," Magnus said after a moment's thought. "Now, I have to sleep in it." He was smiling. This phrase was usually used for people who have made mistakes and are now forced to live with the consequences of that mistake, and even though Magnus felt the exact opposite about Alec, he still liked the phrase. It seemed to fit the way he was feeling. Magnus had fallen in love with who he'd fallen in love with, and that was that. There was no changing it now, no backing out. The bed was made. Loving Alexander was so different than the way he'd loved before; Magnus knew this was it. With or without the engagement, Magnus had meant every word he'd said to Alec during their fight. Alec was the greatest- and last- love of Magnus's life.

"Are you implying falling in love with me is like an unmade bed?" Alec smirked in a teasing tone.

"Yes and no," Magnus replied. "What I mean is that no matter what, for richer or poorer, I love you, want only you. If it's for richer than I will just have to get used to it. I know there are many people who wouldn't let it bother them so much. Heck, there are probably people out that whose goal in life is to get someone wealthy to fall in love with them. I believe in Sims, the aspiration is something like 'See the ghost of your wealthy spouse.'" Alec's laughter filled the room and made Magnus smile.

"Oh wow I remember that game," Alec chuckled. "I haven't played it in ages."

"Me neither," Magnus replied.

"I can't picture you as one of those people," Alec continued. "I have never once thought you were with me for my money, quite the opposite actually."

"What do you mean?" Magnus asked.

"I was worried we were too different," Alec said. "Sometimes it feels like we are worlds apart. More than once during the last year, I feared my habit of throwing money at my problems would break us up."

Magnus leaned over and kissed Alec's forehead before speaking. "Well we sure failed to communicate didn't we," Magnus whispered. "My strange discomfort didn't make me love you any less, Alexander. I just wasn't raised to think about money the way you do." Magnus pulled Alec in closer, crushing him in a hug.

"And I'm glad," Alec said with surprising sincerity.

"Oh," Magnus gasped surprised. "But I thought you wanted me to let you pay for everything?"

"Oh I do," Alec answered. "But I think I'm not totally right to. It's nice to be so sure that you're here for me and not for-" he paused, laughing lightly as he added, "'Seeing the ghost of your wealthy spouse.'" Magnus couldn't help but laugh with him. "It's harder to see on this side of it," Alec continued soberly. "But maybe I can understand why it makes you feel the way it does."

"Oh, and how does it make me feel Alexander?" Magnus asked in a soft teasing voice. He was stroking Alec's hair, knowing full well how this always puts Alec to sleep.