Ch200: Alec's House

Alec was looking down at his phone. It wasn't quite as good as his computer. The pictures were rather small but at least he could see them. Scrolling through a few listings without finding anything that caught his attention, Alec changed the parameters of his search. That helped. Now the question was which one would Magnus like best...

"Hello," her voice broke through his laser focus. "Hello, earth to Alec, come in Alec."

"Huh, what?" Alec said looking up from his phone. Maia was standing a few feet from him with a very annoyed look on her face. Without saying another word she gestured to her right. Turning to his left, Alec saw what she was trying to communicate: customers.

"I said I wanted two hundred grams of the honey ham," the annoyed-looking man said.

"Oh right sorry," Alec said, putting his phone in his pocket and quickly getting back to what he was supposed to be doing.

Once the man left with his honey man, Alec made to take out his phone again but as soon as it was in his hand Maia snatched it from his grasp.

"Oh no you don't!" Maia said. "You've been distracted all day and I am sick of doing your job for you. If you keep this up I am telling our supervisor."

"Alright, alright," Alec replied in defeat. "Sorry. I'm just so excited."

"Yeah yeah I get it," Maia sighed. "You're gonna buy a house. Doesn't mean you get to slack off at work. In fact, work is super important when it comes to buying houses or at least it's supposed to be." Alec just grinned at her. She responded by pocketing his cell phone.

Alec did his best to focus for the rest of his shift. He tried to pass the time by getting Maia to talk to him about houses, but she wasn't taking the bait.

"I don't think I'm meant to be a homeowner," Maia said when Alec tried to get her opinion if split levels or full basements were better. "I like being able to call a landlord to fix stuff that's broken."

"Just cause you call them doesn't mean they show up," Alec replied.

"Yeah but at least it isn't my problem when they slack off," Maia counted. "I can just work around the issue and their falling equity is their fault."

"But wouldn't it be nice to be able to have more control over where you live?" Alec asked. "To be able to do things without anyone telling you you can't?"

"What things?" Maia scoffed.

"Renovation things," Alec said. "Backsplash tile, new floors, showers, big bathtubs and new countertops, big backyards with built-in catios!"

"Whatever makes you happy buddy," Maia chuckled.

Alec appreciated that she was happy for him, even so, he couldn't help but be disappointed that she didn't share his enthusiasm. When his shift ended, Magnus had agreed to sit down with him and really look at the listings. Another five hours from now and Alec would be sitting at home freaking out over houses with his favourite person in the whole entire world, and the cats. Who needed friends when you had a husband?

Being bored while knowing something more fun was just around the corner has a nasty habit of slowing down time. Without his phone to distract him, for the rest of his shift every time Alec checked the clock it felt like even less time had passed than the previous time he'd checked it. Despite the molasses uphill in January status of the clock, his shift did eventually end. Waving cheerfully to Maia, Alec bolted from the building and back to his car.

Having a car of his own was very convenient, but Alec's favourite thing about this car was that Magnus had gotten it for him, even if it had been for all the wrong reasons. Whenever Alec got in the car it always reminded him of when Magnus had used work to avoid him, but in a good way. Alec remembered when Magnus had confessed his inability to give Alec up and it always made him feel needed.