Ch188: Jace's Popcorn

Jace wasn't quite sure what to make of his conversation with Clary while he'd been sick. There was a distinct possibility he'd imagined the whole thing via flu hallucination. Then again if she hadn't actually been present who had taken care of him? Jace hadn't expected her to be there when he'd gotten home, and he'd been even more surprised when she'd started looking after him. Jace's dreams that day had been filled with blurry memories of years ago when she'd been sick and he'd cared for her. It felt somehow like coming back to the beginning, though he knew that wasn't possible. Too much had changed for them to return to the people they'd once been.

Apart from strange flu illusions, his life had become quite boring of late. Now that Jon had officially moved out, Jace was starting to notice how stupidly empty his apartment was and how expensive. It was really time he moved. The problem was deciding where he wanted to go.

Until Clary Jace had never imagined a world in which he might settle down, and yet now - even without Clary when he looked around his empty apartment - Jace couldn't help but feel as hollow as his surroundings. Being a bachelor without roommates felt somehow very different than being a bachelor with roommates. It didn't make any sense, and he really couldn't explain it, but it was true nonetheless. His friends were moving out, moving on in their lives and leaving him behind.

Okay maybe he was being a bit melodramatic there. Jace knew if he called Alec his friend would make time for him. Jon hadn't said goodbye forever or anything; he'd just moved in with his girlfriend. Jordan too, and Jace was honestly happy for them. Jace just didn't know where he fit anymore. Was he gonna be the lonely bachelor forever? What had all that maybe hallucinated stuff with Clary meant anyway? She hadn't mentioned anything about her actions meaning she wanted to get back together, but then why'd she do it? Even if it wasn't Clary, could Jace maybe find happiness with someone else? He had to admit the image got stuck in his head. Even when he managed to conjure up something the woman's face was always blurry, and she would turn out to be a redhead. The trouble there was that no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get the future he wanted, and the future she wanted to fit together.

Shaking his head to clear it, Jace decided not to think about Clary for the rest of the day. It was his day off and he even had plans. This was no time to wallow. Annika would be arriving any minute now, and he had promised video games.

Jace liked the friends part of his relationship with Annika more and more these days. Jon, Alec and even Jordan were all coupled up and Jace didn't see them as often as he had before. With Annika he didn't feel like a third wheel.

Just then the intercom binged and Jace got up to let Annika in. He was still feeling a little weak after getting over his flu, but not sick anymore.

"Ready to get your butt kicked at Mario Kart?" Annika said by way of greeting.

"Um yes?" Jace replied with a laugh.

"And in this corner Mr. Indecisive Answer," Annika said in her best announcer impression.

"Keep that up and I won't make popcorn," Jace laughed.

"Totally worth it," Annika chuckled.

"You say that now, but wait till you can smell the popcorn," Jace replied, evilly.

"You'll share," she grinned at him.

Despite Jace's mental resolution to deny her popcorn at all costs, no more than twenty minutes into the game somehow she had the popcorn.

"Like a thief in the night," Annika mocked him. Jace used the opportunity while she was distracted to take the lead.

"Hey no fair!" Annika objected as she managed to get a bonus orb and retake her lead.