Ch117: Maia's Glass

Since realizing what she'd lost, Maia hadn't been in the best mood ever. Okay, that was a bit of an understatement as Maia was currently sitting alone at a bar on Valentine's Day, trying to find the bottom of her glass. It wasn't like her to wallow, and she wasn't enjoying it one bit. How had she kept her stupid emotions in check for so long, only to have them spill over and ruin her now? It was so stupid, no, beyond stupid! Idiotic! Why did she miss him now? She'd had her chance, had more than one. Dozens of chances to get him back, and yet she hadn't even tried.

When Jordan had been standing right in front of her, she hadn't given a thought to any of the good things. Like how when they'd first started dating, she'd been so worried he'd spot some pale skinny beautiful blonde, and choose that over Maia's dark curves. Since she'd met Jordan, he'd always seemed like the type to want skinny and pale in a woman, but Jordan had proved time and time again that he only had eyes for her. Sometimes when other women who saw her on his arm, they would glare at Maia, and though it should have bothered her, Maia had always felt so proud in those moments, proud to have earned his attention. His consistent and obvious preference for her had melted the iron of Maia's heart back then, only to have the iron return with a vengeance after they broke up.

Jordan had been the first person who had really noticed Maia. After a lifetime of being in her older brother's shadow, such a thing had been worth more to her than she knew how to express. She'd revelled in the feeling then, only to take it for granted later.

Maia looked down at the bottom of her glass. It was time for another drink. Signally the waiter, she ordered a second, and watched numbly as it was made.

"You wanna talk about it?" the bartender asked her.

"Not really," Maia replied, taking a sip of her third drink of the night.

"Contrary to popular belief, I don't ask everyone that," the bartender continued. "It's not actually part of the job you know." Maia chuckled, though without much heart. She looked up at the bar tender. He wasn't anything to remarkable. Apart from his kind smile, there wasn't much to distinguish him from any other bartender.

"Thanks," Maia replied trying not to be rude. The bartender was called away then to help a customer on the other side of the long bar. Maia was sitting at one far end, her back to the large tv playing some kind of sports game.

Valentine's Day, Maia thought as she stared down into the liquid in her glass. She remembered her first Valentine's with Jordan. He'd been so nervous, he hadn't had a clue what she'd want, and had planned multiple evenings in case she hated one of them. Maia smiled remembering the adorable expression on Jordan's face when she'd realized what he'd done. Maia had kissed him then, her hand gently holding the nape of his neck. It had been so long since she'd kissed him, so long since she'd kissed anyone.

Maia had to down her whole drink in one go when she realized the last person she'd kissed had been Simon. If only the bartender was cuter, or she was drinker, maybe Maia could change that.

"Is this seat taken?" It was a guy's voice, but not one she recognized. Maia turned to face the tall white man with blonde hair standing beside her. He looked unkempt, with uneven stubble on his chin, and a untrustworthy gleam in his eye.

"Yes," Maia told him. "By my very large, strong, boyfriend who will be back any moment."

"Nah, I don't think so," the man said. "See, I've been watching you from over there for the last few hours, and you've been sitting here alone all that time."

"He's just late," Maia tried, but she knew it was hopeless. This guy clearly didn't believe her, and why would he if he had indeed been watching her all evening? The idea made the hair on the back of Maia's neck stand on end. She turned slightly, trying not to be too obvious as she checked to see if the kind bartender was in view. He wasn't.