Ch43: Tessa's Plight

"He did what?" Tessa yelled. "Oh I am going to kill him."

"Get in line," Izzy agreed.

"Stop it!" Alec yelled. "Both of you."

"That fool," Tessa said. "I am going after him!" She didn't wait for Alec to disagree with her. Quickly collecting her purse and jacket, Tessa ran out the front door after Magnus. Camille's place wasn't that far. She went to the same university, so it made sense that the evil woman would want to live nearby.

Tessa had never liked Camille and had only put up with her for Magnus's sake. But, Tessa liked Alec. She'd never seen Magnus so happy with anyone before. Overprotective Clary was finally too busy with her own love life to meddle in Magnus's, which meant it was up to Tessa to stop Magnus from ruining his own chance at happiness. Sure, Magnus had never actually said where he was going, but she had a bad feeling. Magnus had always had a weak spot when it came to Camille, even if he didn't realize it. She had a inexplicable power over Magnus that had always made Tessa's skin crawl. In fact, that crazy woman seemed to have a similar power over a lot of people.

Tessa stopped running. She was exhausted, but she'd barely made it three blocks.

"It's just the flu," Tessa told herself as she started moving again, but she stopped not long after. She was suddenly so tired she thought she could nap right here on the street. Entertaining the thought for a moment, Tessa considered maybe it wouldn't hurt to double check. She had been nauseous for a few days now and there was a drug store nearby.

But she had to find Magnus!

The prospect of walking the last few blocks to Camille's apartment, however, made Tessa want to curl up in a ball and never move again. Switching tactics, Tessa got out her phone and dialed Magnus's number. No answer. She dialed again and her call went straight to voicemail.

'I am not sure if you are ignoring your phone or just forgot to bring your phone,' Tessa texted Magnus instead. 'But if you are reading this, remember that Camille never cared about you! She cheated on you. Don't do this Magnus. Go back to Alec.'

Tessa sank into a bench outside a cafe as she caught her breath. She thought sending Magnus that message was all she could do, but after throwing up in the trash can, Tessa felt considerably better and decided to continue her search just a little longer. She got up and headed toward Camille's again, walking rather than running this time. Walking seemed to be a bit easier and Tessa covered the last few blocks easily.

To Tessa's great surprise, as she approached Camille's building, she saw Magnus run past her in the opposite direction. Tessa called after him, but he barely turned, too intent on where he was going to stop. Her curiosity piqued beyond compare, Tessa knocked on Camille's front door. Magnus's blonde ex answered.

"Magnus?" Camille asked hopefully.

"Nope," Tessa replied. "Magnus just ran out of here like the devil was on his heels. What the hell happened?"

"I have no idea," Camille sobbed.

"Don't give me that," Tessa scoffed, though she had to give the woman credit. Those were some truly believable fake tears. "What did you tell him to make him come over here anyway?"

"Ralf dumped me," Camille replied, still sobbing.

"People don't dump you Camille," Tessa said, flatly. "You dump them. Now, the truth." Her dishonest tears dried and she suddenly looked furious. With her hand on her hip Camille glared at Tessa.

"I never did like you," Camille said coldly.

"I know the feeling," Tessa smiled back icily. "What's your angle, Camille?"

"Ralf has been looking at other women," Camille huffed. "I thought maybe he'd smarten up if he saw me with Magnus."

"You want to make him jealous," Tessa laughed. Such a stupid thing to mess with Magnus over. Camille truly thought other people's emotions were just her playthings, but as Tessa studied the other woman's face, she gasped in surprise and suddenly exclaimed, "Oh my god, you love him don't you?"

"Why are you even here?" Camille complained. "Go away."

"You may never have truly cared for Magnus," Tessa said. "But you care about Ralf." With that Camille slammed the door in Tessa's face, but she didn't mind. This certainly explained a lot.