Ch44: Alec's Nostalgia

Alec watched Tessa run out the door, but he couldn't get his hopes up. He remembered only too well those first few weeks after he'd met Magnus. Those weeks when Magnus had been hung up on Camille. Magnus hadn't said where he was going and Alec tried to hope Magnus hadn't gone to see her, but it was a weak hope. After all, Magnus had yet to give Alec even the slightest indication he loved Alec in return. Magnus had been acting weird for weeks and was now likely off somewhere with Camille at this very moment. Magnus was probably going to break up with Alec when he returned. No matter what Izzy said, he knew he could go searching for Magnus, flu or no flu, but what was the point? If Magnus didn't want to be with him there was nothing Alec could do about it.

"I hope Tessa punches him," Izzy said firmly.

"Go away," Alec grumbled. He'd been so happy to see his sister just moments ago, but now he felt rather the opposite. He couldn't help but think Magnus might still be here if she hadn't interfered. He knew if he and Magnus hadn't been on such thin ice, her interference wouldn't have mattered, but he still didn't want that reminder just now.

"But, I came to visit you," Izzy whined.

"And you're here for a week, right?" Alec continued. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Alec," Izzy said. "I was trying to help."

"And I didn't need your help, Iz," Alec complained, leaning back on the couch and pinching the bridge of his nose with two fingers. He had a headache, but he couldn't tell if it was flu induced or sister induced.

"At least let me look after you while you're sick," Izzy said.

"I can look after myself," Alec replied. After all, he felt fine so long as he stayed on the couch. He wasn't as nauseous as he'd been before. It had been standing that had thrown him off balance.

"But-"

"No buts," Alec replied. "I want to be alone." And Izzy gave in. Alec supposed she must have finally developed some sense of when he was serious. After all, she was starting to back off a little, granted it was too late now, but Alec couldn't fix the damage that had already been done. Alec felt bad as she stood up, looking more guilty than Alec had ever seen her look before.

"Sorry," Izzy mumbled as she got up and left, closing Magnus's front door as she did so.

Alec took a deep breath. Alone in his soon-to-be ex-boyfriend's apartment. He'd grown quite fond of this apartment since he'd met Magnus. Sure, he'd spent more time here once they started dating, but he'd liked it even before then. There was something homey about the way Magnus and Tessa had laid it out. The furniture angled toward the tv in such a way as to still encourage conversation. The warm blanket that covered his legs was rather lovely as well, with bright colourful geometric patterns. Alec was going to miss this place. Chairman Meow and the Great Catsby chose this moment to jump up onto Alec's lap.

"I'll miss you guys too," Alec told the cats. They were both purring and seemed to know he needed the company. Cats really were the best pets, Alec thought as he stroked their soft fur. Alec knew his nostalgia was just masking the pain of losing Magnus. Alec also knew he should be mad at Magnus for everything that had happened, and he was, but not enough to matter. Mostly, Alec was just defeated. It was out of his control. Either Magnus would come back and break up with him or not. Alec wasn't sure how long he sat there with the cats in his lap. It was probably at least a half hour. His mind went over and over everything as he stroked the cats absently. He was so lost in his thoughts the sound of the door opening made him jump, startling both cats in his lap. When Alec had caught his breath, he turned to see who had walked in.

Magnus stood there. He was smiling, but Alec couldn't read the meaning behind the smile. Was he happy he'd finally be back with Camille after he dumped Alec? Was he just happy to be out of the rain? Was it raining? Wait, that didn't matter.