Ch28: Magnus's Trust

"Little fuzzy diva," Magnus muttered to himself as he returned to the dining area after feeding the cats. "You'd think they were starving to death or something." Magnus looked up and was about to ask whose turn it was when he noticed Alec frozen in his chair, his phone in hand, anxiety written in every aspect of his face. Tessa and Jem were staring at him. Aline and Helen stood in the doorway also staring at Alec. Clary was nowhere to be seen.

"What did I miss?" Magnus asked. The atmosphere in the room was so totally changed from the one Magnus had left, just a few minutes ago. There was a little guilt etched in the lines of Alec's face and Clary was gone, but he couldn't even guess at how those two things were linked. "I wasn't gone long! And where is Clary?"

"I'm sorry," Alec spoke to his knees, rather than look at Magnus.

"What happened?" Magnus asked, concerned. It was one thing to be a little guilty. Magnus knew Alec could feel guilty for even the slightest offense, but it was another to use such a pleading tone.

"I--" Alec started, but he seemed lost for words. "She was going to-- but--"

"Words, Alexander!" Magnus barked. He didn't mean to be so harsh, but the atmosphere of the room had him on edge. There was tension in the air. Magnus had never before seen Alexander so scared and it was unnerving him.

"Clary tried to lecture me about not hurting you and I kinda flipped out on her and reminded her that she's hurting Jace," Alec said very fast. "I'm sorry. I think I upset her. I didn't mean to be so rude, I just snapped." Alec paused a moment for breath. Magnus had never heard Alec talk so fast before. "But I texted Jace to go find her and make sure she's okay."

"Has Jace replied?" Magnus inquired, calmly.

"Yes a few times," Alec said. "He is looking for her I'm sure." Magnus knew his boyfriend's face well and could read it easily; there was nothing but regret and fear there. Alec had upset Clary in the heat of the moment when Clary was doing her usual over-protective thing. Though he loved his friend for how much she cared, he couldn't help but worry about her meddling. In this case, his concern was more about her not wanting to confront her own problems.

"But he hasn't found Clary yet?" Magnus asked, reading between the lines.

"I just texted him," Alec spoke in a small voice. Alec was looking at him with those piercing blue eyes, as if trying to read Magnus's thoughts. He knew that, unlike Alexander who was an open book with lots of full colour pictures, Magnus could keep his thoughts off his face if he so chose. However, the fear in Alec's expression was too much. They hadn't been going out long, but they'd been friends longer and Magnus knew Alexander well enough to know Alec hadn't meant to upset his best friend. And, Magnus thought, if the roles had been reversed Magnus might have done the same thing.

"I'm sorry!" Alec repeated, ignoring everyone in the room, having eyes only for Magnus. "Magnus I-" Alec was up off his chair and moving toward Magnus now, a scared pleading look in his eyes. "Please..."

With a sigh Magnus moved forward quickly and took his boyfriend into his arms. Magnus felt the muscles in Alec's body relax as he melted into Magnus's arms. He felt the tension drain out of Alec and Magnus kissed the top of Alec's head.

"Maybe someone should go look for Clary," Tessa suggested from where she and Jem still sat on the couch, with her body turned to face the dining area.

"Jace is," Alec answered but Magnus wasn't sure if this was enough. Sure, everything Alec had told him suggested Jace was highly motivated to find her, but Magnus didn't know Jace and he didn't like the idea of Clary alone and upset.

"Clary will be okay if Jace is there." He turned to face Helen surprised, not only by who had spoken, but by the unwavering confidence of the speaker.