Maia's Thoughts

Sitting on the soft grass, Maia turned to look out over the smooth reflective surface of the lake. There was a small tree near the water's edge. It stood out against the low shrubs and other plants in the area. The sky above was a clear light blue, with only a few stray clouds scattered across it. Beyond the lake, Maia could see a forest of evergreen trees. They were reflected in the lake, making the water look dark green in places. Their kayak was resting closer to the water, but well above the shore line so it wouldn't get lost.

She could see his silhouette. Jordan was looking away from her, out over the water; he looked strong standing there. Just days from now, their relationship was destined to crumble before her eyes; but at this point in time, everything was perfect. A light breeze cooled their skin as the sun shone down on them. Maia loved the feel of the sun on her skin. For as long as she could remember, it had brought her joy, and on this day most of all. She and Jordan had kayaked around from the other side of the lake, and just finished eating the picnic they'd brought. Then he'd stood up to get a better look at the water, while she'd stayed sitting by what remained of their lunch, gazing up at him.

Jordan was so tall. He'd taken off his shirt and had his head all the way back, as if soaking in the sun. Maia couldn't help but admire the structure of his chest, the way his muscles looked almost sculpted. She'd trailed her fingers over those muscles many times before, and she remember the feeling as she admired them. She also remembered the possessive feelings she'd had in that moment, knowing he was hers.

Then he turned and looked at her; it was as if the world had stopped turning. Never before had she been so seen, so noticed. Maia knew with absolute certainty that at that point in time, she was the center of his world. A simple smile spread across his face as he moved closer, then sat back down beside her.

"Have you ever thought about trees?" he's asked.

"How much can one think about trees?" Maia replied laughing.

"Trees with needles I mean," Jordan said.

"Evergreens?" Maia inquired.

"Yeah," Jordan smiled, moving so his face was just inches from hers.

"No, Jordan I can't say I've thought a great deal about evergreen trees," Maia chuckled, kissing him briefly since he was so close.

"Can we be like that?" Jordan asked. "Never to wither away and fall to the ground. Evergreen."

"Is this a metaphor?" Maia giggled. "Or are you planning on dying every inch of your skin green?" Jordan laughed with her briefly, then leaned in and kiss her more deeply than she'd kissed him..

"I will love you as long as the evergreen trees are green," Jordan told her firmly, looking right into her eyes.

"Love you too," Maia replied, rolling her eyes at him. They laid down after that, looking up at the clouds together until the hour grew too late, and they had no choice but to get back into their kayak and go home.

Maia shook her head vigorously. It didn't help at all, so she banged her textbook into her forehead a few times. That was so not what she was supposed to be thinking about before meeting Jordan for a study date. It was like her stupid brain was trying to go backward.

It felt like that day at the lake had happened to someone else, or at least in another lifetime. They'd been so young, so ignorant of the world. Maia couldn't remember how their next and last fight had started, but she remembered the ending perfectly. The things they'd screamed at each other, the ways they'd hurt one another. When they fought, it never was just about one problem. Somehow their fights always pulled all the little issues up into the mix. Maia could remember at least a dozen things they'd fought about, though she couldn't quite recall which had been the major issues, and which were just dragged in for the show. Jordan was the messiest person alive, that was one of their issues for sure. Maia could recall going to his house once or twice and seeing the state his room was in. She knew her parent complex had played a role as well. Her mother and father, always thinking of Daniel above all else, had made it hard for Maia to believe all the things Jordan used to say to her, the way he used to look at her. Heck, who was she kidding, the way he still looked at her.