Ch38: Jace's Surrender

"I wrote him a funny joke about a parrot," Alec said. "On the homework that is." It was only when Clary asked what joke that Jace bothered to listen. Alec couldn't remember the joke, but Jace wasn't too concerned. Alec was, after all, a bit of a teacher's pet and though Jace would never be one himself, he knew it never hurt to have a teacher's pet as a friend.

"So, Clary," Alec said changing the topic. "How were your morning classes?" Jace listened as his girlfriend replied, talking about her art history class. Magnus chimed in on the history part. It was a pleasant way to pass a lunch hour.

"Off to Econ I go," Alec sighed a quarter of an hour later, as he collected his tray and left the cafeteria.

"Parrot," Magnus said as he watched Alec's retreating back. "Alec doesn't make parrot jokes."

"What are you going on about?" Jace asked.

"Never mind," Magnus sighed. "I'll see you guys later."

"Bye Magnus," Clary said as Magnus too made his way to his afternoon classes.

"Do you think something's wrong?" Clary asked. "Magnus seemed distracted."

"I'm sure he's fine," Jace replied.

"Sorry," Clary sighed. "I really do have a meddling in my other people's lives problem, don't I?"

"Maybe," Jace smiled at her. "But you're awfully cute when you're worried about your friends." He kissed her forehead then added, "Actually you're just cute all the time."

"You're sweet," Clary replied smiling at him.

"Clary," Jace started. "Am I clingy?" Ever since he'd talked to Alec about it this morning he'd wanted to ask her this, just to make sure.

"A little," she laughed. "But I kinda like it."

"Great!" Jace exclaimed. He gathered up their trays and walked over to the trash, Clary following him.

"I'm worried about Simon," Clary said after a moment.

"Okay I liked it better when you were worrying about Magnus," Jace whined.

"Sorry," Clary said. "It's just that he's my friend too and he's hurting."

"He's also your ex," Jace added. "And I know I have no legs to stand on here, but could you not bring him up on Valentine's day."

"Fair enough," Clary said. "But you have probably slept with half the girls at this school."

"Low blow," Jace whined. "Can we talk about something else?" He turned to her and was glad to see her smiling. She leaned up on her toes to kiss him. Jace put his arms around her and savored the kiss.

"Happy Valentine's day," Clary whispered when they broke apart. "Sorry, it's just that I can't help thinking about it sometimes." It was moments like this Jace wished his past self hadn't been so stupid.

"I can't change the past," Jace whispered. Clary didn't reply and Jace got a weird feeling. Was she actually upset? He couldn't quite tell, though by the time he'd walked her to her next class, she seemed to be back to normal.

"See you tonight," Clary smiled.

"My place," Jace said. "Alec will be at Magnus' like always." He rolled his eyes and Clary laughed.

Jace didn't have class this afternoon, but rather wrestling practice. Their coach was very insistent on more and more practices now that they were within sight of actual matches. Jace didn't mind. It was nice to have the physical exercise. He didn't like going to the gym by himself and Sebastian wasn't around to go with him anymore. Jace managed to keep his mind on task for almost the whole practice, his thoughts only drifting to Clary once or twice.

After, when he was back at his dorm Jace showered and waited for Clary. He had no idea what boyfriends were supposed to do for their girlfriends on Valentine's day. Every Valentine's day previous to this one, Jace had spent with Sebastian at a bar praying on vulnerable women without a date. Jace might not be able to change the past but these days he sure as hell wished he could.