Ch180: Jace's Knock

Despite his attempts to not think about it, Jace couldn't help but be aware of the fact that this would be the first Christmas he'd ever spent not on speaking terms with his mother. Jace had no siblings and had never met his father which meant Celine was really all the family he had. There had been a point in Jace's life when he'd considered Clary family, but that had since passed, leaving only his mother.

From what he heard no one else was really having that great a Christmas either. Magnus had volunteered to work the whole holiday. This had led to many texts from Alec complaining about the whole situation. Jace wasn't really sure why Alec was still going on about it, as the only helpful piece of advice Jace had to offer Alec didn't want to hear.

'You have to talk to your husband!' Jace had texted back after what had felt like a million messages of beating around the bush.

'But what if he's being like this because he's giving up on our marriage?' Alec had replied back. 'I'm scared to start that conversation.'

'You won't know unless you try,' Jace had texted back, though he completely understood how Alec felt. Jace could remember perfectly how he'd felt those days after Clary had returned from Paris, but was still keeping something from him. The land of limbo he had once called home was now his best friend's stomping ground. Jace hated that there was nothing he could do to help. His only idea was yelling at Magnus which he doubted would do any good. Those two had to work this out on their own, no matter how much Jace wanted to lock them up together and lose the key.

'Magnus has already told me he's working right through Christmas this year,' Alec's next text had read. 'My parents have invited Simon, Izzy and I over for the holidays.'

'Doesn't that mean you've been flying to their place?' Jace texted back.

'Nah, Mom and dad have been in town since Aline's wedding,' Alec's text reminded Jace. 'They flow Max down and are renting out the top floor of a hotel to host us all for Christmas.'

'Ah I see,' Jace texted back. Now that he thought about it, he could remember Alec mentioning this at least once before.

'Still though even with everyone in town,' Alec next text read. 'It doesn't really feel like Christmas, without Magnus.'

'I get that,' Jace replied back, empathizing with his friend. 'Maybe when the holidays are over things will get better.' Jace added a smiley face emoji and sent the message. Alec sent a smile emoji back and ended the conversation.

It had been the only time Alec had mentioned fears of Magnus giving up on their marriage, but Jace couldn't blame him for that. Sometimes it was easier to admit things like this over text than in person and anyone in his situation would likely have similar fears.

The one exception to Jace's miserable Christmas theory was his roommate Jon, who these days was happy to the point of being annoying.

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright here all alone for Christmas?" Jon asked for what felt like the thousandth time.

"Yes, just go," Jace groaned. "It will be a nice break from the aurora of happiness you've been giving off these days."

"Am I really that bad?" Jon asked, though he couldn't keep the smile off his face.

"Yes but that's okay," Jace told him, moving closer to pat his friend on the shoulder in reassurance. "I'm a grown up. I can be glad my friend is happy without turning into a green eyed monster." He laughed, trying to show that it really was okay if Jon left.

"Thanks," Jon smiled. Then he paused and added more thoughtfully. "It's strange, but it's true isn't it? We are friends separate from my sister, I mean."