Ch187: Tessa's Structure

It had been well over a month now since Sophie had taken her maternity leave from the library leaving Tessa to fill her shoes while she was gone. Rather than try and get around during those last few uncomfortable weeks, Sophie had opted to take her leave just a little early. She was now at home with a bouncing baby boy named Thomas, and Tessa was thoroughly enjoying having the run of the library and actually getting paid to do it!

Between her new - but temporary - full time job and attending night classes three days a week, Tessa's life was filled with more adult conversation than she knew what to do with. Tessa had been so used to her toddler structured life that this new busy adult one was quite a shock. Though she loved her new routine, there were times when she missed her all day one-on-on time with Lucie. She still got plenty of mommy time after work. Usually by the time Tessa got home Lucie had worn Jem out, so like a good wife Tessa would take over the child minding. Will's days off were a different story, since the two fathers together were a match for the toddler. On those nights Tessa often indulged in a lavender scented bubble bath and a good book.

All in all, her life was pretty darn brilliant as far as Tessa was concerned.

The one slight blip on her radar was the lack of an answer she'd received from her soulmates about whether or not they wanted to have more kids. It wasn't like she was trying to rush them or anything, even if they answered in the affirmative she'd want to wait till she was done with this job and her bachelor's degree. Still, she had expected to at least hear the topic mentioned in passing once in the eight months since she'd first brought it up.

Maybe they'd just forgotten.

She tried to put the topic from her mind as she focused on what she was meant to be doing: her job. She had emails to answer, and events to organize, and staff to delegate to. This was no time to huff and puff about her husbands.

When Tessa got home that night she was surprised to see Will sitting on the floor playing with Lucie.

"I thought you had work tonight?" Tessa said, by way of greeting as she walked in.

"And good evening to you too," Will chuckled as he helped Lucie stack her blocks just to have the toddler knock them all over again.

Tessa smiled. He was right. Tessa took off her thick winter coat and hung it up. Next she removed her boots and gloves, and lastly she hung up her scarf. Finally free of her January attire, Tessa walked over to kiss him hello before asking her question again.

Will just shrugged. "Got sent home," he said as if this was a normal thing. Tessa raised an eyebrow at him since this was definitely not a normal thing.

"Let's see it," Tessa snapped.

"See what?" Will grumbled.

"Whatever injury you have that made your supervisor send you home!" Tessa replied firmly. "Because I know you'd never go of your own accord."

"That is untrue!" Will replied defensively. "There are plenty of reasons for me to leave work early on my own accord." He started listing them on his fingers as he continued, "Jem in the hospital, or you, or Lucie. Hospitals in general, let's say. Emergency at the house. Important appointments that can't be cancelled. Lucie's still too young for school, but her school calling, or a parent event would probably count-"

"That's all very well and good, but since none of those things have happened," Tessa let the sentence hang there making sure her husband knew she meant business, and wasn't willing to let him deflect.

Will let out a deep sigh, but didn't speak.

"Are you burned?" Tessa asked seriously, resisting the urge to charge forward and start checking his skin for wounds.