Ch156: Clary's Right

Clary licked at her ice cream quickly in the hopes of consuming it before the sun succeed at melting it. It was a beautiful day to be in the park. The lush green grass looked so inviting, Clary almost wanted to take off her shoes and run through it. There were benches and garbage cans scattered along the path they'd chosen along with tall overhanging trees shading the cobblestones. Clary suspected that without the shade her ice cream would already be dripping onto her shoes.

"Should have got mango," Paige said as they walked. "This cookies and cream is not living up to the hype."

"Do you wanna walk back and get magno instead?" Clary asked.

"No, I've bought this now," Paige replied. "I'm gonna eat it. Just making a mental note. Next time: Mango."

Clary laughed. "There is such a thing as giving up and going back ya know. If you aren't enjoying it, then probably isn't worth the four dollars."

"Though, I know you're right," Paige laughed. "At this point though, I believe it is about the principle of the thing."

Clary chuckled again before taking another mouthful of her mango ice cream. "If you say so. Personally I'd go back and get the flavour I wanted."

"So, what were we talking about, because the ice cream stall rudely interrupted us?" Paige laughed.

"You were catching me up on your life while I was gone," Clary answered. "Everything that happened with Jordan, and school, and just life."

"I think we covered most of that already," Paige replied. They were now walking past a tree larger than those they'd seen already, and there happened to be a bench right in the best looking shady spot. Thinking of what remained of her ice cream, Clary suggested they sit on the bench to finish their desserts.

"This way they won't melt so fast," she explained. "And I don't think we covered everything."

"He cheated," Paige said, with a shrug. "Then lied about it. Then tried to say that being with her made him realize he loved me. Bull shit. So I left. It's as simple as that."

"But why did he cheat?" Clary asked. "Don't people only do that if something is wrong with the relationship itself?"

"I have no idea why someone would do that," Paige replied. "And in this case I really didn't want to ask. If you are so curious why don't you ask him?"

"Sorry," Clary sighed. "I just- I just don't understand."

"You and me both girl," her friend smiled at her. "But if you go through life expecting to understand all of it you will forever be disappointed."

"That's a depressing thought," Clary sighed.

"No, it isn't depressing," Paige countered. She pondered for a moment before stating, "It just is." After eating more of her ice cream she continued. "There is too much in the world for one mind to comprehend and understand. As there is too much within one person to be completely understood by another. All we can do is observe and speculate."

"But surely Jordan knows why," Clary offered.

"Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't," Paige said. "It depends if he is lying to himself or not."

"Urg, don't get all wise on me," Clary whined. "Between you and Simon I feel like I'm in therapy."

Paige laughed. "Sorry," she said, still chuckling. "Been doing a lot of thinking lately."

"That's fair," Clary smiled. They were almost finished their ice creams now, both of them biting off chunks of their waffle cones.

"I've only got one more year of school left," Paige said. "I can't live with Magnus and Alec forever, no matter how much they say they enjoy having me there."