Alec's Confetti

Ten... Nine... Eight... Seven... Six... Five... Four... Three.... Two... one...

"Happy New Year."

Alec looked deep into his fiance's eyes, a smile playing at his lips as he leaned forward to kiss Magnus with all the affection he could muster.

"Happy New Year, my darling," Magnus whispered.

"Your darling am I?" Alec smiled.

"Unless you have an objection to the name," Magnus replied easily.

Alec made a face, trying to look afronted, but he couldn't hide his smile.

"I love you," Magnus chuckled. His voice changed to one of mock seriousness as he added. "But not as much as I love confetti."

"Liar," Alec smirked.

"What gave me away?" Magnus mused.

"Well it's confetti," Alec commented. "Little tiny pieces of paper that do nothing except make a big mess after putting on a show."

"You caught me," Magnus smiled. "Mine is a temporary confetti type love, very fleeting. Bright and short."

"Is that so?" Alec replied, pulling Magnus in closer.

"Mmm hmmm," Magnus said, grinning.

"Why'd you agree to marry me then?" Alec whispered, also smiling. It was funny how little their actual words impacted the mood of their conversation.

"Did I do that?" Magnus replied, with mock surprise. Alec simply nodded. "Well, I must have been drunk. Better call the whole thing off right now!" Alec laughed, giving up on the teasing to kiss Magnus again. He wound his arms around his fiance's neck, parting his lips to deepen the kiss. He felt Magnus's hands press against the small of his back.

"Oh, get a room!" Izzy's voice snapped at them. Alec turned around to see his sister with her arms all over Simon.

"You first," Alec replied. With one swift motion, Izzy finished her champagne, then grabbed Simon by the arm and promptly left. Their parents had insisted everyone stay up together to greet the new year, but as that was now over, it seemed Izzy was taking the opportunity to spend time alone with Simon. The two of them were the first to head up to bed. Aline and Helen were next, waving goodbye to everyone as they went. It had been great to see Aline outside school. Between Alec and Aline's clashing class schedules - and respective relationships - it had been hard for them to find time to spend together. Before Magnus, and Jace for that matter, Aline had been Alec's closest friend. It was strange to him that he was now so comfortable spending so much time away from her, and it made him wonder if the myth was true. They say the act of falling in love will cost you at least one friend. If only there were more hours in a day, and more space in one person's life, that might not be the case.

Aside from his mother's constant wedding commentary, Alec's holiday had been splendid. And Alec couldn't even complain too much about his mother's wedding frenzie since he was so grateful she was handling the details. Alec wanted to marry Magnus more than anything in the world, but he wasn't so keen on making lots of tiny decisions about flower arrangements. And hey, if it made Maryse happy, who was he to argue? He supposed the answer to that question was 'the groom', but Alec felt more like a guest with so much of the planning out of his hands. A very important guest, he mused.

Alec couldn't believe that April was only four months away. If those months went by as fast as his winter break, Alec would be married before you could say 'I do.' It was a strange and wonderful feeling. Before he'd met Magnus, Alec hadn't been able to picture any of it, even just the idea of being in a relationship had felt foreign to him. He'd always known he was gay, but that hadn't really helped him imagine merging his life with another person forever in matrimony.