Chapter 105 - Titanic Rescue

Nevren spent several Revisor cycles looking through different parts of the bag that had been left behind from those wraiths. There was quite a lot that he could learn from it. It appeared to have a connection to some form of long-distance communication. However, that connection was not operational. Nevren suspected that it would be open if he turned Quartz HQ into a Dungeon again, but he still needed to work on making that technology portable.

He also learned that perhaps the reason these wraiths were different was because they were sentient—perhaps even sapient. Were his suspicions true? They were very familiar. It had been a spur-of-the-moment assumption, one in particular seemed like Owen. And that giant one... there was something about it that felt... familiar. The fact that Nevren had no proper words for it was a mild source of irritation.

Speaking of mild sources of irritation...

Arceus, are you there? Nevren called. I trust Dark Matter has not made any advances.

"He has not. The storm above Hot Spot has calmed, but the area itself remains corrupt."

Where is Lavender?

"Still quite far from Kilo Village. You know, you could have asked me to relay a message if you needed to..."

I could have, yes.

A pause. "You just wanted him gone."

Not just that, Nevren replied coolly. These experiments are becoming very risky. I'd rather Rim be in Kilo Village where it is safer for now.

"But essentially so Lavender would be away."

In any case, I do actually want you to relay a message to Kilo Village. Tell them to be careful when entering Dungeons and approaching cores. If a wraith appears to be sapient, act cautiously and not aggressively.

"Excuse me?"

Nevren decided to stop inspecting the bag, placing all of the items where they had been previously. Yes, he said, halting his notes. I recently performed a successful Dungeon creation and destruction event. There were wraiths emerging from it. One was a gigantic, hostile creature that was perhaps once too large to pass through other rifts. There were several smaller ones that were fighting against it, going so far as to protect me.

"This... is unprecedented, you know. I don't know if I can believe you."

Perhaps it is too unbelievable to make up. I doubt you can see any reason for me to fabricate this.

"We aren't exactly on the best of terms, Nevren. You caused this by trying to tamper with Anam, who wound up being the seal to Dark Matter."

None of us were aware of this. In any case, I do have another piece of information. Regarding those sapient wraiths...

"Potentially sapient."

One behaved like Owen.

Silence, then. Nevren could understand as much. It was hard to believe himself. But there was no questioning those gestures—and that amalgamation... He would not mistake his own creations, even if they had been warped and distorted. That was the Alloy.

"You aren't one to make such bold claims normally," Barky finally said.

I am not.

And then, more silence. Nevren was finished packing the bag again.

They have great technology, Nevren continued. The world the wraiths come from seems to have its own small society. Advanced. Perhaps that is where they went. Perhaps that is where a lot of missing spirits have gone.