Chapter 4 - Strange Meditation

Owen forced himself to settle down for lunch. He didn't know if his heart was racing or sluggish. It was a strange mixture of beating quickly, and then slowing down to rhythmic, loud booms. The excitement killed his appetite, like his stomach was already satiated with his hopes, dreams, and fears, but he knew he had to force something down for the mission portion of the exams.

Ludicolo Café was lined with bright brown walls and large, green tables that resembled a Ludicolo's hat. Ludicolo himself was dancing along the aisles, serving drinks, along with other assistant waiters and waitresses. The exams were a spectacle for the average citizen, and the activity was a strain on the staff. Owen hoped they got paid extra for this day.

His meal, which he forced himself to enjoy, was an apple smoothie with tough strawberry sweetbread. His next mission could be soon and he didn't want to have any heavy proteins that would make his lizard brain sluggish. He had to be wary of his instincts.

Lucario Rhys entered the café with the trio.

Good, they got him. "Hey!" Owen waved. His tail blazed a bit brighter with joy.

"Hey, where's yer folks?" Gahi asked. "Y'know, the ones at that place Rhys brought yeh."

"Oh, they have to stay inside and do their work and stuff," Owen said. "They knew I'd be doing all these qualifiers, but..."

"I'm sure they'll be very proud," Rhys said, nodding.

Owen eyed the bag around his neck. It was glowing again.

"Well, go on," Rhys told the three. "Get your food. You skipped breakfast."

"Meh," the Trapinch grumbled, wobbling forward first.

Owen watched them get in line but then turned to Rhys. "You aren't eating?"

"There is no need for now. I will have lunch later."

"How come they skipped breakfast?"

"I used that as punishment." The Lucario grunted. "They would have a big lunch to compensate. They were trying to touch some of my treasures again."

"You mean that orb in your bag?"

No reply; Rhys only held the strap a bit tighter.

"It's kinda glowing again, isn't it?" Owen tilted his head. He leaned forward to get a better look, but Rhys placed a paw over it. "I think that pink mist I saw earlier came from that bag. Do you think it wants me to touch—"

"You simply shouldn't," Rhys said curtly. "It would be very bad if you touched it here."

Owen watched Rhys carefully. "Do you know what that mist was? Or who?"

"I cannot be certain," Rhys lied, and Owen knew that much.

"Can I at least see it?"

"You may not."

"Is it too strong for normal Po—" Someone tapped on his shoulder. "H-hey! Nevren!"

"I was looking for you!" The Alakazam gave a cheerful little bow. "I wanted to congratulate you on your successful battle against James, much better than any other Charmander on record. Though, I should probably mark it down as an outlier in the logs. After all, you're a late-evolver, as you call it, hm?"

Owen began with a babble. "Yeah. I did well enough that James had to refresh his Substitute. But it was still not that good—I hope I'm not getting weaker from taking easy assignments or something. I've been feeling a little off lately."

Rhys glanced at Nevren, but then at Owen. "Indeed, you're quite strong for a Charmander."

"It isn't as if Trapinch, Axew, and Chikorita normally do that well, either," Nevren noted. "And yes, it's quite strong, but it's still weak in the grand scheme of the Hearts. Still, he has the benefits of my Eviolite that I gave him," Nevren said. "Though, during the exams, you will have to go without it, just as you had against James."