Chapter 63 - A Difference in Opinion

Shrouded in shadows that stung her skin, Star floated unevenly through the forest of the Grass Realm. She shook herself off, dislodging some of the clouds that permeated her spirit, and released a pulse of golden light to get rid of the rest of it. "Ugh—" She grunted, wrapping her arms around her sides. "Wait." She looked around. The light trees, the sunny weather, the clear sky—The Grass Realm! "Finally!"

"Stop!"

A series of high-speed seeds popped on the ground just under her. Dirt and rocks flew from below, blocked by a reflexive Psychic bubble. Star snorted, flashing a glare ahead. "What's your problem?!"

Grassy Pokémon of all kinds lined the treetops near the entrance, with even more appearing as reinforcements.

"W-wow, you guys are fast. Uh—it's just me! Don't worry! Did any wraiths show up here?"

"Why are you here?" a leafy Murkrow said, puffing out her feathers.

"Stop trying to mess with Owen!" said a Grassmander strongly reminiscent of their host's lowest form—there were actually quite a few of them. It seemed he had a bit of an impersonator fan club.

"No, guys, hang on! I come in peace?" Star waved her arms frantically, but she didn't put her Psychic bubble down. "Look, we sort of have a situation going on, and I need to talk to Owen right away! So again, did any wraiths come through here?"

Star made a move to fly past the spirits, but a flurry of rainbow-enveloped leaves sliced at her bubble when she tried. She yelped, holding her arms up to keep the barrier strong.

Lilligant Amelia emerged from the bushes, a scowl on her face. "Here to mess with Owen again?" Just behind her was her father; the Jumpluff floated down from the treetops next to her.

"What's gotten into you?" Star said, looking between Klent and Amelia, then at the rest of the spirits. A wave of horror washed over her face. "W-wait. Klent? Amelia? H-how close to Owen have you guys—"

"Not very," Klent said, "but enough that we can feel what he feels. We all accepted this long ago, Star, when you told us Owen would take the Orb. Don't forget."

"H-how he feels? How exactly is he feeling right now?!"

The cold stares said all she needed to know. Star's paws trembled, tiny claws threatening to emerge. "Are you serious?! Is he still mad about having him fight Jerry?! Come on!"

Star tried to fly forward again, but every spirit—the crowd rapidly growing—tensed to strike.

Klent continued, not taking his eyes off of Star for longer than he needed to blink. "Right now, Owen is wondering if you're just planning to use him. And you know, Star, I'm beginning to wonder the same thing myself."

Star flinched, scooting back slightly. "Look, this isn't the time. There are wraiths that might come here, and you wouldn't want that to happen, okay? Just let me see Owen so I can warn him, and then I'll help out with defense! He'll be able to warn the others, right?"

"We'll tell him," Klent said.

That wasn't good enough. "I just need to get to the Core so I can talk to Owen. Let me through, and you guys can watch me as closely as you want. There isn't any time for this, Klent! Why doesn't Owen want to see me?"

They answered Star with an uneasy silence. Klent shifted his weight. Star squinted, a small, subtle wave of Psychic energy radiating out of her. If she could just take a quick peek at what they were thinking...

Star only saw a single flash of an image in Klent's mind: Owen, staring down another Charizard with a blindfold. Their hands were held firmly together with a golden light.