Chapter 55 - Grievances

In the dim glow of the Hot Spot mushrooms, Jerry's new Provisionary Badge shined. It reflected the blue light sharply. He couldn't help but tilt it to see the light caress the rounded edges of the heart at the center of the Badge.

After all this time, I've got another Badge to throw away. Jerry grumbled. I should just toss it in the lava this time, huh? That'll show them...

"Show them what?" Star asked.

"Guh—" Jerry shot up from the ground. He winced as a reflex, expecting his spine to protest with a sharp pain, but when none came, he needed another few seconds to adjust. Right, that freak's healing...

"Must be nice to not have that messed up back, huh?" Star asked.

"Okay, new rule. Stop reading my mind," Jerry said.

"Okay, okay," Star raised her hands. "Sorry. I forgot how easy it was with non-Mystics."

"What, Mystics can block you?"

"Mind-reading is really internal. It's one of the first things that I can't do when someone's aura gets too strong," Star said. "Unless I really try, but... I'm not like that."

"Sure you aren't."

"Oh, come on, I get that enough from Zena," Star whined.

"What'd you do to her?" Jerry asked.

Star stuttered. "W-well, I mean—"

"So, I figure she's right to not trust you," Jerry muttered. He sighed, eyes softening. "Sorry. I guess you get a hard time from everyone, huh? Figure they had big expectations for their Creator and they feel let down because you're just like the rest of us."

The Mew shifted her position in the air. "Yeah," she said. "I'm just glad they can still deal with me enough to summon me. And hey, some of them are getting strong enough that I look semi-solid now! Or I'm just getting weaker..."

"What would be making you weaker?" Jerry said.

Star shrugged. "I don't think I'm any weaker. Definitely feels that way sometimes, though..." She flicked her tail, trying to form a small, Psychic bubble to rest on. Unfortunately, her presence in the real world was still too weak. It dissolved in a fine mist.

At the entrance to Jerry's home, Amia cleared her throat quietly. "Um, Jerry?"

The Aerodactyl sighed, wondering if it was a custom to bother each other in this place. "What?" He turned his head to address the still-green Gardevoir. "Where's that blue you love so much? Tired of looking special?"

Amia winced. "I'm—not strong enough to do that again, yet."

"Summoned your mate fine," Jerry said.

"I can't do both. I had to choose."

"Oh. Well, good for you."

"Er—Jerry, if you want, perhaps we can... find a way to go into Kilo Village and buy you a bed?" Amia held her hands together delicately, almost as if she was pleading, even though her tone suggested it was just a polite offer.

"I don't have the money for a bed," Jerry said.

"Oh, no, dear, we would get you one," Amia said. "Before he left, Rhys left me some funds for it. What do you say?"

"So, you're saying it's Team Alloy's money that would get me the bed." Jerry couldn't suppress his snarling expression completely.

"I mean, well..."

"Yeah, I'm sure you mean well," Jerry said, "but you know what, that's not something I'm gonna accept so happily. Especially if it's the same reward money they got for arresting me in the first place."