Chapter 107 - Dark Addiction

"What do you mean you lost sight of the power source?"

Alexander stood in his office, opposite his table. He stared at the empty space, his thinking spot. The open area was good for leisurely flying under the high ceilings to keep his wings stretched and not make him feel so trapped, even if the furniture was therefore sparse. The wall had been mostly repaired by now, with the repair crew retiring for the day. For some reason a Swampert from the observational division had been among them under related orders from Mhynt, but Alexander decided that wasn't worth questioning.

What was? That Aster failed in his mission after being attacked by Dark Matter. And not only that, but finding it, then losing it, when it was supposed to be trivial.

"I, um, I didn't find it. I thought I did but I didn't, because it died too easily. Um, so it wasn't what we were looking for."

"You KILLED the potential power source?!" Alexander yelled into the receiver.

"No, no, no, I didn't kill anyone! I, um, I just blew him—uh, it away! But when I went to investigate, he ran off, and, um—"

"Who? Who was he? Search for him now."

"No, he's gone now. And he wasn't what I was looking for. Um—"

"WHO?!"

"Ummmmm Leph! Someone who looked like Leph."

He was shaking. He could hear the blood rushing through his head. Seeing red. Seeing black. He was so mad he could destroy the whole city. "You're lying to me."

"No, no, I'm not! I'm not! I wouldn't lie to you, I just got out of the fight, I don't remember it that well!"

"Then tell me the truth. Who was it, and why? What REALLY happened?"

He heard sniffling on the other side of the receiver. A sick grin crossed Alexander's face. Good, he was scared. He'd actually answer soon. Aster deserved a little terror after failing so miserably. Dark Matter might have taken the source instead, and then he'd have to find another way to fix the setback.

"Well?" Alexander pressed on, trying to hide the grin in his tone. "What did you do? If you're honest with me, I won't punish you as harshly. And you know what the harsh punishment is..."

Aster gasped on the other side of the receiver. Alexander's heart pumped more. Just a little more terror and he'd be satisfied. The Hydreigon was breathing heavier. Couldn't let that get across to Aster, so he held his breath, waited for a few more sniffles, and then said, "Answer me, Aster. Now."

"It was Owen," Aster sobbed. "I'm sorry! I couldn't do it!"

Whatever thrills he was getting evaporated instantly. "It was what?"

"Owen. He's alive! And he has Necrozma's light! But I couldn't do it, I—I... I'M SORRY!"

"So you killed him instead?"

"N-no, I... I used one of Leph's Orbs and... turned him into something else. So now he's just like that."

"Turned him into what? Get him and bring him back."

"I dunno where he went. I ran away, they took him, he's an apple, I—"

"Is he dead?"

"No, I felt his presence inside. S-so he's alive, um..."

He could thank Mhynt later. "Come back to Cipher City, Aster. You're done for now. Mhynt is going to see Owen instead."

"I'm sorry."