Chapter 118 - Just Acquainted

Dark Matter stood face to face with Anam. He took on the form of a familiar Charizard, blue eyes tinged with streaks of darkness. Anam didn't like looking at those, and Dark Matter knew it.

All around them were Void Shadows. Under the ground, in the trees, and all around the forest.

"I did everything you asked," Dark Matter stated. "Nothing came of it."

"You just need to wait. He'll find a way to help."

"They're going to kill me. And I know, from the recent arrivals, they are planning an assault soon. I will not wait while they plot my demise."

"Please. Just one more day," Anam begged. The Goodra squeezed his hands together.

"No." Dark Matter redoubled his glare. "I will not allow you to stall for any longer. I am going to fight. I refuse to be erased. Not until I am done."

Another stare down. How long had they been at this pointless exchange? Dark Matter turned around. "When the time comes, I am going to fight you. I will overwhelm you with so many Void Shadows that you will not be able to catch up to my main army. By the time you arrive, it will be too late."

"I won't get in your way," Anam said, and there was a suspicious weight behind his words. "I know that we can't... we can't hurt each other. Because we're linked. Because I'm the Guardian, and you're the spirit."

"You can still seal me. I know what you will do and I won't allow it this time. I will not be held back."

"You're sealed... but you can also draw from my power." Anam held his chest. "...I'm... not going to let you do that. You can't use my power anymore. Necrozma's light... I... I'm going to make you fully vulnerable!"

Dark Matter quirked a scaly brow. "Oh?" He faced the Goodra again, looming over him. "And just how will you do that if we are linked?"

Anam closed his eyes. "...I'm going to release you."

The false Charizard narrowed his eyes. "Then I'll kill you. Nothing would stop me from overtaking your spirit."

"You will still become weak to Necrozma, fully. Even a touch..."

"They won't be able to get close." Dark Matter stepped closer to Anam. "Do it, then."

Anam stared, eyes wide but not with fear. They glowed as they always did, those green irises etching themselves into Dark Matter's mind. Even now, they were bright. Always bright. How he hated and envied that light. If he could blot it out...

"I trust you," Anam said.

A stabbing pain went from Dark Matter's chest to his forehead. He snarled, withholding a wince, as a dark haze leaked from the corners of his mouth.

"I'll kill you the moment you let me."

Anam finally closed his eyes. Dark Matter wondered if Madeline and James were readying a counterattack. If this was all a trap. Perhaps it was. But he couldn't sense it from Anam.

"It's going to be okay," Anam said. Dark Matter didn't know who he was talking to.

A thread of gold appeared between Dark Matter and Anam, connecting their chests. The end attached to Dark Matter severed... and he was released.

<><><>

The rest of Owen's meal passed without much incident. Quietly, they all regarded one another as they stacked their bowls by the counter, and it seemed to be Eon's turn to do cleaning. "Oh, and I can help, too," Owen offered quickly.