Chapter 129 - New Home

Owen still trembled, leaning against Diyem in the imaginary forest surrounded by nothing.

"That was stupid," Owen mumbled. "I shouldn't have yelled at him... He was... just trying to tell me everything. Even if..."

"Mmh. You had every right to be angry."

"Are you going to tell me more?" Owen gazed toward him. Diyem seemed uncomfortable with the closeness, yet didn't pull away.

"No."

"What? Why not? I—"

"You need Necrozma to verify that I'm telling the truth."

"Oh... Right."

Owen wiped his eyes, trying to steady his breaths, but it wasn't working. His own team, ascended as Legends, had taken away everything he had. His will, his emotions, and then his memories, all gone just like that. He was afraid to think beyond that. Necrozma had said it led to his life as a mutant.

But that left so many questions afterward. What happened to all the Legends? Why were they here, but also in Kilo? What split them in two?

Diyem knew the answers and he was frustratingly close. He could ask for the information now. Could he trust Diyem to give the full truth? He would eventually remember them anyway, right? Or would the lie, however briefly he fell for it, push him down a path irreversibly catastrophic?

"You're skeptical. Undecided. Uncertain."

Owen winced. He was too distraught to hide anything, especially from Diyem.

"I don't care." He crossed his arms, staring at a random, fake tree opposite to Owen's gaze. "These memories are not yours anyway. Your time as a mutant was inconsequential, as far as I'm aware, and they aren't for me to tell."

"What?"

"I do not know what happened to you after, and I doubt Necrozma did, either. You were simply taken out of the picture. The war went on without you. I fought without you... But there is no point in giving you my word."

"No, I—"

"Because I am already tired... and I will at least tell you what's important." Diyem faced Owen, finally, with a serious look in his dark blue eyes. "Remi fell into the Voidlands during the war... but it was only part of her. And the rest never went across the aura sea."

It didn't register to him at first, but eventually he took a shuddering breath. "Then... she became Cosmog."

"No, actually."

"What? But—"

"There is no reason you cannot split yourself, even as a mortal spirit." Diyem studied Owen. "You did the same, didn't you?"

"O-oh. You knew about that." He glanced away.

"All you need to know is how to manipulate the spirit. That technique was acquired the moment you gained Necrozma's blessing, and you, of course, learned how to harness it. It came back to you without realizing; while your mind forgot it, your spirit did not."

"Right." Owen sighed, refocusing on what was important, "Where's Remi now?"

He shook his head. "I would have told you, if I knew. But she hid herself even from me. She would have revealed herself to you long ago if she could, which means..."

"She's trapped somewhere."

"No. Certainly she would have been discovered by now."

"What? Then..."