Chapter 147 - Spirit Lineage

The last thing Owen was expecting to throw several plans into question was a child hatching. It had slipped his mind completely, that egg. But now, he was balancing a little Charmander between his horns while sitting at the table of the conference room. Zena tended to the Charmander to make sure she didn't fall.

Slowly, others trickled in. The first was Mhynt, who saw the Charmander and sighed, hopping onto her stool and staring at Owen. She said nothing.

"...Okay, yes, this was what hatched from the egg," Owen finally said. "I'm still thinking about names."

"She has your eyes," Mhynt said, and somehow, despite his Perceive and knowledge of the Treecko, he had no idea if she was mocking him or not. "Certainly not your flame, though..."

"Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of energy it is," Owen said. "It feels like Shadow, but it's also... not? It almost reminds me of the energy I can channel in my Protects, or when I Bestow something."

"It might be both," Mhynt said, her expression hardening. "Which is surprising. We should think about precisely how it was born."

"She, actually."

Mhynt nodded. "How did her egg come to be?"

"Well... I don't really remember too well. Or why. But..."

Mhynt sighed. "I do hope you're careful about this," she said, "but... she doesn't seem to be evil. Inherently, at least. Her aura is... strange, though. I've never seen anything like it."

"I believe I know what it is," Xerneas said, standing at the entrance. Yveltal bowed her head to slip inside next, reminding Xerneas to do the same so his antlers didn't get caught in the doorway.

Owen's scaly brow furrowed. "What? So it's something to do with her life energy?"

Xerneas nodded. "And I believe we are incredibly lucky that you were able to escape before Alexander could discover it... That is the very thing he had been striving for."

His father, followed by his mother, entered his Perceive range.

"Oh!" Amia called, waving. Her movements were still foreign to how Owen remembered her. Little subtleties that constantly reminded him that she wasn't all there yet, and perhaps never will. Not the Amia he knew. "Congratulations, Owen!"

"Uh." Awkwardly, Owen shifted his weight and gestured to the Charmander. "Just so you know, that wasn't... from Zena and me. That was something else."

"Oh, I think I remember that," she said. "Yes... You two were a couple! But, only just beginning. Sorry, I'm still sorting through all those memories..."

"Yeah, that's okay," Owen replied, throat tightening. When Zena held his arm with her ribbon, he relaxed.

"Bring Charmander to me," Xerneas said. "I can have a closer look at her spirit."

Diyem entered the room next, wearing a cautious frown. "Will this harm her?"

Zena slithered to Xerneas, gently holding Charmander in her ribbons. The little Pokémon made a cooing sound as she was carried closer to Xerneas.

"It will not," Xerneas said. "This is... a new life brought into the world."

Zena set her on the table and she plopped onto her rear, staring at Xerneas. She held her arms up and grasped the air.

"It is against everything I am to harm a healthy child." Xerneas brought his head down until he was eye-level with Charmander.

She continued reaching up, wobbling until she was on her legs.